Fiat Legend Al Cosentino has passed away

Miscellaneous discussions that aren't really Fiat related but are worth reading anyway.

Moderator: KevinB

Fiat Legend Al Cosentino has passed away

Postby Marc » Sat May 02, 2009 7:19 am

I just recently learned on a trip to the Richmond Va area from a sports car builder and friend of Al Cosentino that he has died.
Al was the Father of Fiat Sports Car Racing in North America and one of the most enthusiastic Fiat Fanatics the world has ever known.
Many of us remember FAZA,his car company.Before anyone here in North America, Al introduced us to high performance parts to make your Fiat faster and handle better.He is qouted as saying"Nobody gives you more performance in a small car than Fiat".He proved this on the racetrack,year after year,win after win.

In fact ,he racked up so many wins, the SCCA banned him and his Fiat's because he won too many races and humiliated the rest of the cars ,most were overated British junk like BMLC's ,MG's Triumphs', Austin Healeys ,etc...No other race team had a chance when Al and his Fiat entered a race,one car ,one mechanic! He lapped the field even when slated to a pole position in the back of the pack.The only thing his competition ever saw were Al's tailights.The SCCA tried everything they could to stop him,but he just kept on winning and winning and winning. Al Cosentino left a legacy that will never be equaled.

51 National Victories in 53 Races in our beloved Fiats.He proved that Fiat is the King of small bore.

May he rest in peace,and our thoughts and condolances go out to his family.
Marc

Postby Denise » Sun May 03, 2009 7:46 am

Awesome write up, Marc, for an awesome guy.
Denise

Very sad news...

Postby Brett » Mon May 04, 2009 7:28 am

Has anyone confirmed this news? My thoughts and prayers are with Fumiko and Al's family. Al was a unique individual and will always be remembered by the Fiat community.
--
Brett Melancon
RICAMBI Editor

2012 Abarth 500 (Nero)
1981 FIAT X1/9 (2nd owner, Imported from England)
1974 FIAT X1/9 (2nd owner)
1959 FIAT 600D (Restoration in progress)
1959 FIAT 600 parts car
1968 Mustang Fastback (Restoration in progress)
1967 Ford F250 4x4
2004 Lincoln Aviator (wife's ride)
Brett
FLU Ricambi Editor/Publisher

Postby LANCIAHF » Mon May 04, 2009 9:40 pm

I sent Fumiko an email but I have not heard anything.
LANCIAHF

Al was quite a character....

Postby Fiat Freak » Thu May 07, 2009 11:43 am

I think Al Cosentino may have made more enemies than friends, but it can't be denied that he surely was a major driving force among the Fiat community in North America. I guess one would consider him "eccentric," but as we all know, all true artists are, indeed, eccentric. He may have been difficult to deal with, but as the saying goes, "When the flag drops, the bullshit stops." His performance on the racetrack in Fiats of all ilks speaks for itself. Many current FLU members may be too new to the club or too young to know of Al Cosentino's exploits, but they are legendary. I am lucky to own several of his publications, which were looked upon as the primary sources for performance advice and parts for decades.

My condolences to Al's family.
Bobb Rayner,"The Fiat Freak"
Co-Founder: "Fiat Freak-Out" Annual Gathering and club Fiat-Lancia Unlimited
Author, "The Fiat Freak" article in RICAMBI magazine
Founding Member of Club FLU/FCA (I've been around this group of Fiat Freaks before there even WAS a Club FLU or FCA!)
Fiat Freak
FLU Board of Directors

Postby Alcosentinosfriend » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:05 pm

Hello all... My name is Collette and I have joined this site to let you all know that Al Cosentino did NOT die. He did, however, have a bad stroke back in 2007 which has rendered him incapable of walking, talking, or basically any daily function we do, on his own. His mind is not incapacitated totally though, as he can still understand, read, watch tv etc.. So it is incredibly frustrating to him as you can imagine. I became friends with his wife, Fumiko, a little over 2 years ago and have been Al's "companion" 3 days a week, at the nursing home he is in, ever since. I did not have the privelege of knowing Al prior to his stroke, but have learned so much about his life and am amazed by his history. accomplished racer, published writer, great painter, and more. Judging from some posts I've read on different sites, plus some of his publications, he was incredibly knowlegable, but he was very "head strong" and unwavering and vocal in his opinions... He apparently made some "enemies" but also gained a kind of respect from them at the same time. I have no wish to hear the bad... I only wish to make Al's world now, as enriched as I can by bringing him your encouragement, your stories of
his influence in your Fiat world, etc. photos are also appreciated. My email is
cobrady55@yahoo.com. Or you can leave me a post here. Thank you all and I look forward to hearing from you.
Alcosentinosfriend

Re: Fiat Legend Al Cosentino has passed away

Postby Oshwega » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:51 am

I flagged for the SCCA NC region in 1968, and remember watching Al Cosentino doing battle with a horde of Minis in his D Sedan Fait Abarth. It was always a treat watching his Fiat coming through the corners with the front inside wheel of the Abarth lifted off the tarmac, a nice change from the multiple Minis with their inside rear wheel lifted. Often the cars would be coming through almost connected to each other. Al always added a bit of color to the race weekend, both through his personality and his driving. I wish him well - if for no other reason than providing me with a story to tell for over 40 years!
Oshwega

Re: Fiat Legend Al Cosentino has passed away

Postby Brett » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:23 am

Thanks for sharing that story. From what I knew of Al, he was a true character. People didn't know how to take him and I always tried to not judge and enjoy the rich history and stories he provided. If you have an intrest in sharing the story with others, I would encourage you to write down the experience and allow me to publish it in the club magazine. I am desperately searching for vintage material and this would be a great human intrest story. With Abarth in the news right now, it would be even more relevant. Please consider it.
Thanks
--
Brett Melancon
RICAMBI Editor

2012 Abarth 500 (Nero)
1981 FIAT X1/9 (2nd owner, Imported from England)
1974 FIAT X1/9 (2nd owner)
1959 FIAT 600D (Restoration in progress)
1959 FIAT 600 parts car
1968 Mustang Fastback (Restoration in progress)
1967 Ford F250 4x4
2004 Lincoln Aviator (wife's ride)
Brett
FLU Ricambi Editor/Publisher

Return to Chatter