Fiat 500 in Real World MPG tests

Miscellaneous discussions that aren't really Fiat related but are worth reading anyway.

Moderator: KevinB

Fiat 500 in Real World MPG tests

Postby sjmst2 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:13 am

As more time goes by, the 500 will come to be appreciated for what it is, which is an all around good value. Never mind close minded haters who never drove one.

http://www.edmunds.com/fuel-economy/fuel-sipper-smackdown-4-which-car-gets-the-best-fuel-economy.html
----------------------------
Fuel-Sipper Smackdown 4: Which Car Gets the Best Fuel Economy?
The Chevy Volt Battles 4 Fuel-Efficient Cars

" 'I want a car with good fuel economy.'

We hear that a lot, but what exactly constitutes good fuel economy? It would be easy to simply look at the EPA mpg ratings on a new car's window sticker, but what sort of mpg numbers can you expect in the real world? And what happens when you factor in the cost of fuel — gasoline, diesel and now electricity? This test seeks to answer those questions.....

We actually had a Fiesta pegged for this test, but a series of accidents experienced within Ford's press fleet nixed chances of driving a Fiesta SFE or Focus SFE in this comparison. The loss of the Fiesta left a spot open for our long-term Fiat 500, although since it has the least impressive EPA mileage ratings of the group, our expectations aren't high....

The biggest surprise here is the 2012 Fiat 500. It is the only car here to have met or exceeded its EPA mpg estimates on every leg in the test, beating cars that should theoretically have been more efficient. With a simple combination of tiny size, tiny engine and manual transmission, the Fiat managed to prove only 22 cents more expensive to run than the ultra-complex Volt (not to mention about $20,000 cheaper to purchase). Of course, not everyone can live with such a tiny car, but the 500 feels like a real car to drive, even if it might not look like one."
Sam G.
FLU Board Member
Long Island, NY
1981 Fiat Spider
2012 Fiat 500
sjmst2

Re: Fiat 500 in Real World MPG tests

Postby Denise » Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:06 pm

the Fiat would have been even more economical if they would have just put 87 octane fuel in it. I've only filled up with 93 octane once in 20k miles and I didn't see a difference in economy or performance.
Denise

Postby sjmst2 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:08 pm

Denise wrote:the Fiat would have been even more economical if they would have just put 87 octane fuel in it. I've only filled up with 93 octane once in 20k miles and I didn't see a difference in economy or performance.

I get the same mileage with 87, 89, 91 or 93 octane
Sam G.
FLU Board Member
Long Island, NY
1981 Fiat Spider
2012 Fiat 500
sjmst2

Postby Chris Layton » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:27 am

I am anxious to see what the Abarth gets...I bet its going to be better than the Mini S !
Chris Layton (Forum Admin)
2012 Subaru Imprezza (Kid Transporter)
2005 Toyota MR2
2007 Lotus Elise
1981 124 Spider
1972 124 Spider (In pieces all across TN)
Chris Layton
Forum Admin

Return to Chatter