What do you (as members) expect from the Officers and BOD?

Miscellaneous discussions that aren't really Fiat related but are worth reading anyway.

Moderator: KevinB

What do you (as members) expect from the Officers and BOD?

Postby KevinB » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:21 pm

Hi All:

Just looking for some insight as to your expectations.

I have been a BOD member for 3 years and have asked this question several times, but desire to do and be better in meeting your expectations.

What do you expect from your club leadership?

How do you expect your BOD members to represent you?

How do you expect ideas and projects to be brought forward for discussion?

How do you expect decisions to be made?

how do you get feedback as to what the club leadership is doing, what they are discussing, and what decisions are being made?

Please share your thoughts with me here, by Private Message, or via e-mail.

Best regards,
Kevin
85 Bertone (24k orig miles)
KevinB
FLU Board of Directors

Postby rpconlon » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:50 pm

Show up for meetings (on-line)
Put intrests of the club before personal adgenda
Be active in promoting FLU

Be available to discuss regional issues and take issues to the table.

Many ways.
Email
or here in the forum
Through discussion and then diiscussed at BOD meetings

Democratically

how do you get feedback as to what the club leadership is doing, what they are discussing, and what decisions are being made?
In Ricambi or on the forum

Cheers
Ron
Ron Conlon
2016 Fiat 500 Sport
Ottawa, Ontario
Canada
rpconlon

Postby racydave » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:45 pm

We have a great slate of new board members coming in, and some dedicated people overall. Besides representing members, and doing the correct things to steer FLU into the future, I expect you to have fun with the whole adventure.
1979 spider 2000
racydave

BOD

Postby Thad » Wed May 19, 2010 8:17 pm

I spent two terms on the BOD. The input I received was little to nothing from the membership. I really wanted to hear some ideas/complaints/concerns/atta boys. FLU officers must be well grounded and look out for the good of the organization and always have the member in mind. Without the member there is no organization. There are times, I think, when the BOD meetings can get bogged down in making decisions on small items that are best left to the appropriate designee or committee. This can make for lengthy online meetings. Another thing that people should understand, is that club business is being carried out daily as it needs to be. Many of the BOD members and officers talk to each other or email regularly. We are volunteers but need to act in a responsible and professional manner. Our contacts in the sponsor/vendor/advertiser world expect a professional transaction and our club members expect the same. Volunteering for a position and taking it is harder than you might think and requires a dedicated commitment of one's time.
-Thad Kirk
Near Philadelphia, PA
1965 Fiat 600D
1971 Fiat 850 Racer
1981 Fiat Spider 2000
1984 Pininfarina Azzurra
2012 Fiat 500 Prima Edizione #100
Thad
FLU Board of Directors

Re: What do you (as members) expect from the Officers and BO

Postby Dburdick » Sat May 11, 2013 2:53 am

Here is what i'd like to see. Lean on Fiat to start giving us some factory support. Press them to introduce a real roadster into the U.S. market. I just read in the new issue of Ricambi that we are changing our name to more closely tie ourselves to the new Fiat group. Why? What are they doing for us? Last year at the FFO in Charlottesville, I ask the North American Fiat rep "when will Fiat start building the sexy sportscars we fell in love with?". His answer? As some of you who were there may recall he rudely gave no answer. He moved on to the next question. Months earlier, I had written to the Fiat website asking when we might expect the sort of factory support that other European car companys give to owners of old classics. No response at all. I'd like to see the factory correct some of their mistakes for us. I want a 3.9 rearend that doesn't shed it's pinion gear teeth when I'm a thousand miles from home. I want a gearbox with steel syncros, that uses a gear oil made in this century. And how about an affordable roadster for us? Please don't. Try to tell me that a four door Dart is a sportscar! Is that the best they can do!?. Why are we pandering to these guys? We survived 30 years without them and, near as I can tell, we still are. So let's see alittle heat put on pappa Fiat, all of you board of directors. And on behalf of the other Lancia owners out there, keep the Lancia name in the FLU. Afterall, since the Chrysler 300 is being sold as a Lancia in Europe, that means Im seeing a lot of "Lancias" around town. And dont say I didnt give you any feedback! Thanks. Doug Burdick, Cameron, S.C.
Dburdick

Postby Amacento » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:13 am

KevinB wrote:Hi All:

Just looking for some insight as to your expectations.

I have been a BOD member for 3 years and have asked this question several times, but desire to do and be better in meeting your expectations.Kevin

Thank you for this thread. Feedback threads or emails, from leaders, are always a good sign someone cares.

I'm very new (only two years in) to the FIAT community. But I'm old enough to be familiar with FIAT, Alfa and Yugo (I think Ferrari, Lancia & Maserati transcend age and era). I've forged a great relationship with our LS (local studio) and started a local life enthusiasts group the missus & I affectionately refer to as famiglia. Since July, we've held 3 planned get-togethers and 1 impromptu hangout (to hand out 'famiglia' member cards). I, with the support of the loving missus, write a club blog (at least one entry a month) and host a new-ish club Facebook page.

Involved… especially with the online community. This is a nationwide organization. I'm going out on a limb and guessing the vast majority of us will be lucky to see one another once a year. If the leadership isn't active online, how will new relationships be developed? As any married, parenting or career managing member can attest, if you don't nurture a relationship, it doesn't flourish. It can feel forced or strictly business. That isn't good for the life & future of this particular group.

I've been surprised with the amount of 'introductions' threads with no apparent leadership activity. It took me aback a bit, because I educated myself on how this club started. The internet, this forum especially, should make the pen pal experience much easier. Not one to complain without making an effort to do something about things which I find disappointing (thanks Mama & Papa) ~ I write a couple leaders and have some activity in 'introductions'. I am fortunate to be in a position to claim some long time members (founders even) of FCA are active on our 'local' FB page. I love seeing them there. It shows there is interest in (leaders care or at least approve of) what one of their fellow members is doing locally.

What is the overall goal of FCA? Is it only to be known as the biggest FIAT organization in North America or does leadership want to be remembered for more? Mission accomplished a long time ago.

In my opinion, FIAT S.p.A. has always been about a lot more than being the biggest or the best (whatever that means). The S.p.A. is translated as Society for Action. Ricambi magazine is action. FIAT FreakOut is action. Local get-togethers are actions. Launching this online community is action. What precipitated the calls to action? What is the end goal of those actions? The answer to those questions should inform how BoD members ought to represent me and every other FCA member. I, personally, have no idea what this organization is about. If it's about celebrating the creations of the Italian automaker, I would ask what about the creations is worth celebrating. Is it only paint deep? For me, there is a lot more to an Italian machine than flawless styling.

Mass email. Make it personal. Definitely continue to post the same on this forum, but don't stop there. If it's important enough to ask for opinions/suggestions, it bears repeating.

For daily activity-type decisions? Benevolent dictator style. Why? The machine must keep running. There is no way an organization like this can run on complete democracy (nothing would ever be decided/get done). It's important to ask for feedback, but at some point someone (the BoD and other FCA leadership) must make decisions for the good of all. Major decisions should be shared via email as well as in a forum thread. They should include a deadline for participation in the feedback/idea sharing process. Again, leadership is encouraging group participation. But those leaders are limiting the time of participation to keep the machine running. Benevolent dictatorship.

Leadership cannot hope to begin to do this effectively unless question two is answered. Why? The members you represent will tend to misunderstand the actions/decisions of the actions, based on what they think (rather than know) the end goal is. Hope is not a strategy.

How do you get feedback as to what the club leadership is doing, what they are discussing, and what decisions are being made?
If you're asking how I am informed on the subjects you've listed, I don't. I wasn't aware of the change in how members are identified (changed from ID number to forum ID), because the club app still claims I'll receive an ID number in my membership packet. If something as fundamental as how leadership identifies me as a member isn't communicated clearly, what else is failing? I thank Mike Bouse for answering my inquiry on this subject via email.

With a clear & expressed vision and slid activity, this club will be so fun the BoD will have no problem recruiting fresh & seasoned blood.

Thanks, again, Kevin… and thanks to any leader truly interested in the opinions of those they lead.
Vivere.Amare.Guidare.

http://cc5club.blogspot.com/
https://www.facebook.com/CC5Club

“... there is only one way to drive a small FIAT, and that is without mercy.” - James May
Amacento

Postby rpconlon » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:10 pm

Nick:
Why are you still a member of FCA and the Toronto chapter? You attacked the FLU/FCA board of directors, the FLU/FCA club and made disparaging comments about other chapters and members way back in 2010. You started an Italian car club and car show designed to your own liking. Good for you. You act like you do not like FCA or its members or its executive.
Since you asked, I did look in that mirror for a long time and I liked what I saw.

Ron
Ron Conlon
2016 Fiat 500 Sport
Ottawa, Ontario
Canada
rpconlon

Postby Nick Puopolo » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:59 pm

Ron

Thank you for getting involved in this discussion. Doing so is the only way members can try to improve the FCA and increase membership.

The discouraging remarks you are referring to (I call criticism) were made after having a terrible experience putting in a bid to host the 2011 freak-out, which I believe you were apart of.
The process was flawed, which resulted in confusion with the submittal requirements and reviewing of the proposal. Pointing out these flaws did not make me very popular and the board’s first reaction was to shoot the messenger.

After this experience, I and some other Italian car enthusiasts began Italian Car Day. In just four years of running this event, we have displaced over 800 Italian cars, had over four thousand spectators and raised over $ 150,000 for Safehaven Project for Community Living. A registered charity that provides exceptional respite and residential care for families whose children suffer from multiple disabilities and complex medical need.

We welcome all comments the good, the bad and the ugly, in order to improve next years’ experience.

As I have indicated, this could explain the decline in membership, despite hundreds of thousands of new Fiats being sold.

This is why I’m still a member.
Nick Puopolo

Postby rpconlon » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:24 am

Nick:
I referred to your "disparaging" remarks, not discouraging and not even critical. 2011 Freak-out was a flawed and late bid. Your plans to make the Fiat event an all-Italian car show devastated the bid to bring Freak-out to Canada and, make no mistake, we all wanted Freak-out to be held in Canada. We were not un-Canadian or against the French Canadians. Your personal actions coerced Montreal to drop their bid. I hope the Quebec Chapter realized that in the end we were all manipulated. The changes that were made to the Freak-out bid process were to protect the interests of the club in the future but no amount of extra rules and bylaws will ever be sufficient.

Why do you think Jerry wishes to avoid you either at a party or at Italian Car Day? You were good friends at one time.

Internal strife chases members away. I believe that you are a major cause of that strife. You are not the messenger that you think you are. You are the problem and you were the problem in 2010. Only you can stop being the problem in the future. If you cared for FCA and the Toronto chapter, you and only you would and can put a stop to this negativity.

Or, is a battle within a group of nice people who just want to enjoy their Fiats, what gets you up in the morning? Is this why you stay a member?

Ron
Ron Conlon
2016 Fiat 500 Sport
Ottawa, Ontario
Canada
rpconlon

Postby fiatnut » Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:47 am

Ron you are 100% correct the club is about people (from all walks of life) coming together with one common denominator, the love of automobiles. Negativity should never be brought into the equation .This repeated act of revenge-fullness for being realistic and pointing out the interest was not demonstrated for a Canadian freak-out.We have had many,many long time members shy away from the club for this controversial behavior. I participate for the passion of the automobiles others need to have the same approach leave the business attitudes out of car clubs. I encourage others do so as well if not possible then look for alternatives.

Jerry Cucchiara
Toronto chapter contact
BOD member
fiatnut

Postby Nick Puopolo » Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:11 am

Nick:

Please contact BOD directly through https://www.fiatclubamerica.com/contact ... directors/ to solicit answer to your question.

-Admin-
Nick Puopolo

Return to Chatter