Importing a Lancia Flavia Coupe/Fiat 124 Sedan

Looking for help with a mechanical problem? This is the place to find help!

Moderator: KevinB

Importing a Lancia Flavia Coupe/Fiat 124 Sedan

Postby BerlinaFan1991 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:21 pm

Hello Everyone!

New to the forum here, I'm a college-age fan of classic European cars (I own a Triumph Spitfire at the moment, but I also love the Italian iron).
I am a fan of a lot of the non-U.S. Fiat/Lancia models (and Alfa Romeos, as well, but that's another story), and it is my goal to import either a Lancia Flavia 1.5 or 1.8 coupe, or a Fiat 124/124 S berlina. Other models I'm interested in include the Fiat 125, Lancia Fulvia berlina, Autobianchi A112 Abarth, and Fiat 1300/1500 Berlina.
My question is, how does one go about importing one of these classics from Italy to the U.S., specifically California? As long as it is 1975 or older, smog isn't an issue (and I'm looking at pre-75 cars), but I'm not sure about the Federal 1968 emissions law. Getting the paperwork done and car properly registered and titled is another thing I'm unsure about.
I have found a firm who can possibly import a car (they import old Citroens from France), but I'd like to do it as economically as possible. It probably can be done, as I briefly owned a 1972 Austin 1300 GT that was imported previously from New Zealand...I stupidly sold it to buy something a bit more freeway friendly, plus it needed an engine rebuild. But the fact is, it was registered and titled here despite its non-U.S. origin.
I'm in Los Angeles, so at least there's plenty of access to the ports!
Do you have any advice or recommendations?
Thank you all for your help!

Best Regards,
Cody
BerlinaFan1991

Re: Importing a Lancia Flavia Coupe/Fiat 124 Sedan

Postby daled » Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:02 pm

71' 850 with (1.8L)
58? abarth 750
81' 124 (3.0L)
daled

Postby daled » Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:03 pm

71' 850 with (1.8L)
58? abarth 750
81' 124 (3.0L)
daled

Postby BerlinaFan1991 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:33 pm

Thanks daled for the article! That was a helpful read, and since none of the cars I am interested in are newer than 1975, importing one should be no issue.

Now it is just a question of finding a shipper...I'd like to go Ro/Ro ferry, but a fellow enthusiast I've recently been speaking with (who imported an Alfa Giulia as it turns out, with no issues) said that none of the carries run the Ro/Ro service from Italy. He had to transport the car to Belgium before it was loaded on a ship to the US.

I'm looking into some options, or maybe I could somehow register the car in my name and drive it across Europe...
BerlinaFan1991

Postby turbo500 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:53 pm

Hi, I'm following this thread as I find myself in a similar situation.

I'm trying to understand if there is a need for an importer, or if I can do it all by myself and just find a shipper like the OP.

Looking forward to any news regarding this, I have also emailed several shippers and am waiting for feedback.
turbo500

Postby AAMovers » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:24 pm

Hi,

I'm in the car shipping business, but only transport in the continental USA. I moved a lot of vehicles for West Coast Shipping. I know they import and export a lot of vehicle all around the world. Check out their site or even call them. Perhaps they'll give you some advice. They seemed like pretty nice people when I worked with them.

http://www.wcshipping.com/

Good luck!!

--------

Advantage Auto Movers
Advantage Auto Movers
http://www.advantageautomovers.com
Auto Shipping | Car Transport | Dealers | Individuals
AAMovers

Return to How-To