Idling issues

Looking for help with a mechanical problem? This is the place to find help!

Moderator: KevinB

Idling issues

Postby 79Pininfarina » Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:14 am

I am planning on replacing the carb. on my 79 Pininfarina 2000. It idles rough, stinks, poor gas mileage, and starts hard. My questions is this: I have been told that the 79 was a troubled design and that I would be throwing away good money on a poor system. It has been suggested that I replace the manifold and carb. with a 75 - 78 model set up. Any thoughts or suggestions.
79Pininfarina

Re: Idling issues

Postby racydave » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:48 pm

Yes, you can improve your performance greatly. http://www.artigue.com/fiat/ (thanks Brad) It will be necessary to change to a single plain intake manifold. While the intake is off, it would be the best time to clean the cyclonic trap. That is the PVC system used, and the integrity of the hoses is important. You will want to install the second hose in your air breather too. I modified the OEM hose to work. It is difficult to reach after the intake and carb are installed. You will need to relocate the dipstick also to a new bracket location. Clean the dipstick and seal and use some RTV to seal it. Let it cure. Happy trails! 8)
1979 spider 2000
racydave

Return to How-To