1980 Fiat Spider 2000 is not getting spark

Looking for help with a mechanical problem? This is the place to find help!

Moderator: KevinB

1980 Fiat Spider 2000 is not getting spark

Postby Dino Man » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:07 pm

My 1980 Fiat Spider 2000 stopped running at a stop light yesterday then restarted for a few minutes and I made it to a gas station. I thought I was out of gas and my gage was not working correctly. But when I filled up it would not restart and I had to get it towed to my house. I really seems like it is not getting gas so I wanted to get some ideas on what to look for. I installed a new gas pump a few years ago and it probably has less than 3000 miles on it but I guess it could have gone bad already. When I crank the car it tries to start but will not turn over. Any helpful ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Also I recently took the car to a mechanic who installed a new water pump and did some break and suspension work. Looking over the engine bay I do not see anything out of place. Thanks for any help you can give me.
Scott Coley
Last edited by Dino Man on Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dino Man

Re: 1980 Fiat Spider 2000 with fuel injection is not getting

Postby Dino Man » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:14 pm

I had put a new alternator a while back but have not been driving the car. I think it might have overwhelmed the coil so I have ordered a new coil from Vicks. So we shall see.
Dino Man

Postby rpconlon » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:26 pm

It could be a stuck AFM. Remove the air hose to the AFM from the air box and give the flap inside a push. When it sticks closed, the fuel pump will not turn on.

Cheers
Ron
Ron Conlon
2016 Fiat 500 Sport
Ottawa, Ontario
Canada
rpconlon

Postby CowboyErik » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:38 am

did you change the fuel filter when you changed your fuel pump? My spider seems to be idling worse and worse as I drive it this year, I think my filter is getting clogged
CowboyErik

Postby Dino Man » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:24 pm

I did change the filter when I changed the pump out and I can hear the pump running. I purchased a tester to put on my spark plug and I was correct to think it was electrical, no spark. The new coil did not help and most of what is under the hood is new as far as the electrical stuff goes so I am at a bit of a loss. How do you test to see if the coil is putting out spark?
Scott
Dino Man

Re: 1980 Fiat Spider 2000 is not getting spark

Postby CowboyErik » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:29 pm

Dino Man wrote:My 1980 Fiat Spider 2000 stopped running at a stop light yesterday then restarted for a few minutes and I made it to a gas station. I thought I was out of gas and my gage was not working correctly. But when I filled up it would not restart and I had to get it towed to my house. I really seems like it is not getting gas so I wanted to get some ideas on what to look for. I installed a new gas pump a few years ago and it probably has less than 3000 miles on it but I guess it could have gone bad already. When I crank the car it tries to start but will not turn over. Any helpful ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Also I recently took the car to a mechanic who installed a new water pump and did some break and suspension work. Looking over the engine bay I do not see anything out of place. Thanks for any help you can give me.
Scott Coley

fuel pumps should last forever; thats the way Bosch makes them, they can get over worked and damaged if your not good to them; we should all be changing out fuel filters yearly regardless of millages, the insides just look like they can breakdown and clog; fuel pump noise if my first indicator, especially when running lower on fuel, in X1/9 I can hear the pump, and I know it's time to change that filter; on Spider you can't hear it though. YOUR AIR FLOW METER must be activated for fuel pump to activated or car will simulate dead, I thought I had a bad pump outta the box on X1/9, then I thought of the air box; so I stuck a wrench in it to hold it open, and the power light to the pump light up, so I knew how to connect it, cause the replacement Bosch I bought was not keyed postive or negative side; glad all that is over with lol
CowboyErik

Return to How-To