124 Thermostat Orientation

Looking for help with a mechanical problem? This is the place to find help!

Moderator: KevinB

124 Thermostat Orientation

Postby numpty » Sun May 22, 2011 9:47 am

What is the proper orientation for the thermostat in a 1980 FI 124?

The new thermostat does not look like the original. I installed the new one in what I thought was correct but the engine overheats (yes the water is filled to the top hose). The original thermostat resulted in an engine that was very slow to warm.
numpty

Postby Ramzi » Sun May 22, 2011 2:31 pm

The port which does nor pass air (you can't blow through) goes to the lower radiator hose
Ramzi Gillespie
Auto Ricambi, LLC
http://autoricambi.us/
ramzi@autoricambi.us
Ramzi

Postby numpty » Sun May 29, 2011 9:48 am

Reinstalled the tstat and all is well. Thanks for the assistance.
1980 124 FI Auto
numpty

help on choke thermostat

Postby rosefaj24 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:43 pm

hi there,, im trying to replace the standard choke thermostat, but when i took the old one off, the spring snapped off and i wasn't able to see how it was on, on the new thermostat the spring "hook" is at the other end, can anyone help me with how to put the new one in?thanks in advance. maybe a diagram will do or pictures.
rosefaj24

Re: 124 Thermostat Orientation

Postby Silipoder » Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:04 pm

I really liked this information.
Silipoder

Re: 124 Thermostat Orientation

Postby FirstFiatGuy » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:34 pm

Hello fiat masters, first post so be nice, I have a 78 fiat 124 spider convertible and am on the struggle buss with the cooling system. I have replaced everything and still no success, Water pump, thermostat, radiator, radiator relay at bottom of radiator, hoses and overflow tank because it was cracked. Now with that said I have the car jacked up two feet in the front to where the rear bumper is almost touching the ground. I filled upper hoses until coolant came out the water pump then connected it to the top of the radiator, then filled the opposite hose to fill the hoses that go to the thermostat and then down to the lower radiator. Then topped off the radiator. With the Cap off and the car started I'm not seeing the coolant flow at all, Nothing at all? How is it going to circulate to open the thermostat if its not flowing. I tried it with the cap on and the hoses got hot at the top and not the bottom of the radiator so I imagine that is I'm at my wits end, I read about putting a T in the heater core line to help bleed it but I'm still confused on how its going to circulate there anyway. HELP!
FirstFiatGuy

Return to How-To