Conv. Top Boot, Rear window chrome, upper & lower consol

Looking for help with a mechanical problem? This is the place to find help!
Melissa Hensley

Conv. Top Boot, Rear window chrome, upper & lower consol

Post by Melissa Hensley » Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:56 am

Santa was very good to my Spider this year. Now I need elves to install my stuff, or at least good directions.

I am completely redoing the interior. Currently I have new carpet, roll bar, upper & lower console, convertible top boot, rear window chrome. I am taking the car to an upholstery shop to have the front and rear seats redone. Should I just have that guy install everything, or install my goodies then have the seats done.

How does the conv. top boot attach? It has hooks, but where do they go?

Does the window chrome just slide on, or is there some adhesive?

mbouse

Post by mbouse » Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:24 pm

Sounds like Santa really loves you! What year Spider do you have?

As far as I am concerned, half the pleasure of owning my Spider is the hands on work I am able to perform. I [u]get[/u] to do these things, save some money, and pridefully show others my handiwork.

Everything you have described are relatively straightforward items, no complex tool requirements, and certainly are not safety related items. Other than the window chrome, I've tackled everything on your list...mostly by myself.

Once the seats and center console are out of the cockpit, the old carpet will remove with realtive ease. This will afford you the opportunity to inspect the floor pans for rust and holes. I'd recommend a thorough cleaning of the floor pans before getting some sound deadening padding, then putting the new carpet in yourself.

If you do not have access to a steamer, I would not recommend attempting reupholstery work on the headrests. Did you buy an upholstery kit? If so, I can walk you through this process if you send me an email.

Your rear deck should have two chrome hooks that receive the metal loops on the back part of the boot. Then there should be two hooks on the inside edge of the boot. These hook into holes on the rear quarter panels at either side of the back seat.

You will miss out of a lotta fun if you do not do most of this yourself (just my opinion).

Good luck, welcome to the forum. Send us some pictures and a progress report.
Mike Bouse
WEST MICHIGAN FLU Treasurer
FLU Board of Directors
1978 Fiat Spider mostly stock
1980 Fiat Spider modified
mbouse2000@gmail.com
Home of the Michigan SHORTER SHIFTER

80SpiderConvertible

Thanks for the advise

Post by 80SpiderConvertible » Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:39 pm

It's me, Melissa. I was a guest earlier. I have talked to you before. I have a 1980 Spider.

I do need to get into the basement and work on her. I started her tonight and she is ready for the interior work.

I think I can do everything myself except the upholstery. I will keep posting progress & questions.
1980 Fiat Spider Convertible
2007 Mustang GT

mbouse

Post by mbouse » Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:41 am

That's the spirit !!

We are here to help, too.
Mike Bouse
FLU Board of Directors
mbouse2000@gmail.com

Dave Street

Post by Dave Street » Sat Jan 21, 2006 10:45 pm

don't redo the back seat. If you install a rollbar the seat bottom will have to be modified. I took mine out completely and made a deck. Also your rear side panels will have to be cut.

mbouse

Post by mbouse » Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:34 am

If you need to cut the rear panels, you're gonna wanna reupholster them as well. A reputable upholstery shop can get you the necessary material to accomplish this task in the privacy and comfort of your own home....
Mike Bouse
FLU Board of Directors
mbouse2000@gmail.com

80SpiderConvertible

Spider Back Seats

Post by 80SpiderConvertible » Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:54 am

Dave and Mike have given me great advice on what to do to with the back seat. If you have modified your Spider back seat, please send pics to MMHensley04@aol.com. Thanks
1980 Fiat Spider Convertible
2007 Mustang GT

Denise

Post by Denise » Sat Jan 28, 2006 7:45 am

If you're talking about the chrome with the dew scrapers attached, they're held on by clips inside the chrome trim. You can gently pry these off and pop the new ones on. I have had to use a piece of wood wrapped in cloth to lay over the trim piece and gently tap the wood with a hammer to get them to seat.