Oil Pan Drain Plug

Looking for help with a mechanical problem? This is the place to find help!
ghoztdawg

Oil Pan Drain Plug

Post by ghoztdawg » Wed Dec 21, 2005 5:55 pm

Hello-
Does anyone know the specific dimensions of the oil pan drain plug for a 1980 Fiat Spider 2000? I am switching carbs and need to plug some holes. I can get the plugs from International Auto, but would rather get them locally to save some time. The local auto part suppliers don't have a listing for the plug, so I'm hoping that I can get some cross reference info.
Thanks

-ghoztdawg-
-1980 Fiat Spider-

Dwight V.
Co-Founder

Post by Dwight V. » Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:44 pm

If you're plugging holes in the head or intake, it's metric pipe thread. You won't find it locally. Best to just order it from IAP. [:)]

Co-founder, FLU
23 Fiats since 1982

ventura ace

Post by ventura ace » Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:32 pm

The steel oil drain plug for my earlier year oil pans is a 22mm x 1.5mm thread. The plugs that I see on my intake manifold are aluminum, and seem to be set in fairly permanently. I gently tried to remove a few of them, but they don't want to budge -- perhaps heat is needed to get them to break loose. I was going to remove to measure the threads, but don't want to strip out the enternal hex. Some of the plugs appear to be larger than the 22mm oil pan plug, some seem to be about the same size as 22mm, and some are amller.

Sorry, that's about all I could come up with.

alvon

Alvon Elrod; Ventura, CA
'70 124 spider, 1608cc

mbouse

Post by mbouse » Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:25 am

Supporting our suppliers is a great philisophical and politically correct stance to take. But, practicality needs to set in at some point. Every Honda, Toyota, and Yugo in town is jammed packed with metric fasteners, plugs, nuts and bolts. These should not be a major item to be sought at IAP or Vicks, etc.

Home Depot sells metric thread bolts, and AutoZone sells metric thread oil pan plugs, as well as a limited supply of smaller metric bolts and nuts. If you can get your old bolts/plugs out...which you got to anyway..., certainly take them with you to these places.

Don't ask for major counter assistance at the Zone on a busy Saturday morning (personal experience). I've removed the air pump from my '80 Spider, and plugged the head with a metric oil pan plug found at the Zone. Cost under $5, but took the counter guy 20 minutes to find...cuz he couldn't look it up on the computer.

If you fail this route, then certainly I'd give IAP a call.

Mike Bouse
Coldwater, Michigan
1980 Fiat Spider, stock