Springs, etc.

Looking for help with a mechanical problem? This is the place to find help!
Kevin1

Springs, etc.

Post by Kevin1 » Sat Dec 03, 2005 11:33 pm

The spider has only been in winter storage mode for about 5 hours now and I'm already thinking about things that can be done over the winter. The idea of installing lowering springs has been in the back of my head for a while now. Has anyone done them? The rear looks pretty easy, the front appear a little more involved. Any advise, warnings, pros/cons form anyone who's done it?

Other changes I'd like to make as time and money allow are adding a rollbar, rear anti-sway bar, headlight relay, and front spoiler. Also considering fabricating a shock tower brace to help minimize cowl shake. I'm hoping that the rollbar and shock tower braces would stiffen things up quite a bit, not that it isn't pretty stiff as-is, but better is better and I have all winter to play with it.

Kevin Rich
1980 Spider 2000, top of my "favorite projects" list.

DRB

Post by DRB » Sun Dec 04, 2005 8:17 am

I installed lowering springs from International a year ago when I was having the front end rebuilt. Since I had not done this kind of work on the front endI had a shop put them in. The backs were not bad to work on which I feel like I could have done. I put in the rear sway bar which was not difficult either. The car sits down slightly over an inch and looks good at that height. These are good improvments on the car. I would like to find an oil guard as the oil pan is only a few inches off the ground.

Ross Bryant
80 spider

lad_cap

Post by lad_cap » Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:22 am

DRB, this link has a nice Oil Pan Gaurd very easy to install. www.vickauto.com/

mbouse

Post by mbouse » Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:15 pm

Even with standard height springs, I believe the oil pan guard is an essential piece of equipment. Mine has little paint left on the ground side.

I could visibly see a difference in the reported temperature on my stock gauge after I installed the chin spoiler this summer. I highly recommend this if you're having overheating issues.

Unfortunately, with the oil pan guard, sheet metal surround, and chin spoiler in place....getting to the oil filter on a routine basis is a tiring process.

That leads to the "necessity" of a remote oil filter kit, which I am thankful I have as well.

Mike Bouse
Coldwater, Michigan
1980 Fiat Spider, stock