Heater Fan

Looking for help with a mechanical problem? This is the place to find help!
Kevin1

Heater Fan

Post by Kevin1 » Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:46 pm

The heater fan in my spider runs, but is as noisy as all get-out. Sounds like dry bushings. Is there anyone who knows any trick to try lubricating it without having to disassemble everything and remove the fan? At a glance, it seems pretty inaccessable. I'll look at it more closely, but I thought I'd toss this out there and see what ideas came back.

Thanks!

Kevin Rich
1980 Spider 2000, top of my "favorite projects" list.

Dwight V.
Co-Founder

Post by Dwight V. » Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:10 am

No way to get at it without pulling it out I'm afraid. It's been a very long time since I've done it, but it isn't real hard, just time consuming. Pull out the console, not sure if you have to disconnect the heater hoses or not. The two halves of the heater box are just clipped together.
The fan is not a fancy part, nor serviceable. I'd plan on replacing it (a good used one should be sufficient as they are pretty durable).

Co-founder, FLU
23 Fiats since 1982

Kevin1

Post by Kevin1 » Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:49 pm

Dwight,
That's what I was afraid I'd hear! I have a new fan but was waiting to install it until I was ready to do some other interior work this winter. My hope was to sneak a little more life out of the old one before then. Maybe I'll just wear a couple more layers for now.
Thanks,
Kevin

Kevin Rich
1980 Spider 2000, top of my "favorite projects" list.