cat shield

Looking for help with a mechanical problem? This is the place to find help!
mbouse

cat shield

Post by mbouse » Sat Nov 19, 2005 1:19 pm

I have what appears to be original equipment catalytic converter on my Spider. It is the three bolt variety. This converter has a sheet metal ?guard? or pan on the <u>underside</u>.

I have a very noisy metal rattle that I believe is this pan.

Should I:

remove the pan

pinch the seams in attempt to get the pan to adhere tightly to the converter?

Mike Bouse
Coldwater, Michigan
1980 Fiat Spider, stock

dave

Post by dave » Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:06 am

Mike, that pan is held to the body with fairly sizable rivets (aluminum) you can check for vibration buy temporarily sticking a piece of wood or somthing between the body and the pan to jam it in place. Don't remove it because it deflects a lot of heat away from the passenger side of the passenger comparment. If your cat has a plate underneath the cat (grass gaurd), it can be removed but don't park over dry grass after a hard run ;-). These plates are usually spot welded on and rust away around the spots. My car did not have a gaurd under the cat, but it didn't have any guts in the cat either!
dave

dave robley

mbouse

Post by mbouse » Tue Nov 22, 2005 1:19 pm

Dave,

This rattle is sooo bad that my Spider sometimes sounds like a wind-up toy gone crazy.

Everything is put in place on an auto for a reason. I knew the shield <u>under</u>the cat was there for a reason. Now I understand. Pinching the seams to attempt the non-rattle solution I desire is acceptable. Then if it don't work, I know how to proceed. Thanks for the input on the "grass guard".

By the way, did you get your package?

Mike Bouse
Coldwater, Michigan
1980 Fiat Spider, stock

dave

Post by dave » Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:55 pm

yep, thanks. Now I just have to get the time to package the gulp valve.........
dave

dave robley