shocks and springs

Looking for help with a mechanical problem? This is the place to find help!
MauiBum

shocks and springs

Post by MauiBum » Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:31 pm

Aloha, I am looking to improve the handling on my car to run some scca type events here on maui. I am trying to become mechanically savvy. I am a former software engineer so I am pretty good at logic and seeing how things should work and feel comfortable using tools and following instructions. I want to put on some performance springs and shocks and maybe a sway bar etc. Is this a hard job? I have heard stories of springs flying out and being dangerous. I would love to be able to spend the money I was going to use on a mechanic for better parts and tools. I also thought about hiring a mobile mechanic so I can watch him do the work. I want to be able to do my own work since I'll be tweaking it for moto cross. What do you think?

Dwight V.
Co-Founder

Post by Dwight V. » Sat Nov 19, 2005 8:54 am

Well, first we need to know what kind of Fiat you have. [8D]
Sway bars are easy.
Shocks are fairly easy, unless you have strut suspension (X1/9, 128). Then you need a spring compressor.
124 rear springs are easy. Fronts are a bit difficult, due to access and the problems getting a spring compressor on the spring (not really needed for the rears if you do it right).

Co-founder, FLU
23 Fiats since 1982

MauiBum

Post by MauiBum » Sat Nov 19, 2005 3:36 pm

Sorry bout that. It is a 78 spider :).