Heater valve

Looking for help with a mechanical problem? This is the place to find help!
portunus

Heater valve

Post by portunus » Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:39 pm

I have successfully replaced the heater valve and am some proud of myself. [:D] Only took about an hour. I have some additional tips to anyone venturing into this area. What a PITA, couldn't imagine doing this without having the dash and the seat out!

Pam
Nobleboro, Maine
Cartaker of Charlotte
1974 Spider

mbouse

Post by mbouse » Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:47 pm

Most of us haven't had the luxury of no dash to replace this item.

Consider yourself LUCKY!

Mike Bouse
Coldwater, Michigan
1980 Fiat Spider, stock

jprisbe

Post by jprisbe » Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:49 pm

It's not so bad once you get yourself "twisted into a pretzel" standing on it's head.[:)]

Jon Prisbe
Fruitport, MI
"76SPYDR"
aka "76 SPY DoctoR"
aka "76 SPY DRive"

rpconlon

Post by rpconlon » Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:50 pm

I did not find this job much trouble.
The two nuts at heater core require some agility and the other end I loosened the rubber hose at the firewall and pulled the pipe through to access the pipe bolts with the unit out of the car.

Cheers
Ron

Ron Conlon
Roamin' Chariots

BetaMark

Post by BetaMark » Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:59 am

"Only took about an hour" I am very pleased (I'm a liar) for you.[:D] I have spent over an hour on my back staring at the heater valve in my 77 Beta trying to figure out how to replace it. Any suggestions anyone might have, short of assisted suicide, would be welcome.

Lancia in Montana

portunus

Post by portunus » Tue Nov 15, 2005 5:42 pm

Well I don't know if the Lancia is the same but if it is here I my quick recommendations.

Remove the passenger seat, you will be more comfortable.

My valve was the old style that bolted to the heater core with two screws and with two bolts to the steel heater pipe that goes through the fire wall. There was no rubber hose until I put one in. Ron, I betcha someone had already replaced yours (and added the rubber hose part, unless that was a later improvement.

If yours is the same config, and you don't have the luxury of having the dash out (like mine) get a little headlamp to you can see and use your hands. You will need a variety of 10mm closed end, open end, and socket wrenches (various socket lengths too). You will have to try different ones to see what works for you. Spray the heater core screws with penetrant, if they shear off you will need a new heater core. Snip off the thermocouple.

Loosen the accessible bolt on the heater pipe (the other will be impossible until you get the valve off the core). lossen/removet the heater core screws, I needed a long socket and a closed end for this task, and a lot of patience. Once off the core (hope you drained the coolent first), you should be able to swing the whole thing down and get at the other bolt to the steel pipe. Be careful of the plastic ear that sticks out from the core, don't break it off. If you disconnect the steel pipe from the hose on the other side of the firewall, you might be able to pull the whole rig out. If not, remove the valve then pull the pipe out.

You will have to cut that pipe and put in a short length of 5/8ths hose for the reinstall to work.

eee gads before I go one, someone should chime in on whether the Lancia is the same, otherwise I am using up disc space with no reason . . .

Pam
Nobleboro, Maine
Cartaker of Charlotte
1974 Spider

rpconlon

Post by rpconlon » Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:55 pm

Pam:
That steel heater pipe goes through the wall to a rubber hose which when removed allows you to slide the valve and pipe into the passenger side. Then the bolts between the pipe and valve are too easy. This is the pipe that must be bent a bit to accomodate the new style valve.
I laugh with my Fiat buddies here about how often I have changed the coolant.

Cheers
Ron

Ron Conlon
Roamin' Chariots

BetaMark

Post by BetaMark » Thu Nov 24, 2005 1:25 am

Thanks for your suggestions. Lancia are very crowded under the dash. The car has A/C and P/S so it is crowded under the hood too. I may have been able to get the old valve out but would probably never get a new one in. Since the valve was stuck open, I decided to add a simple cable operated valve in the engine compartment. During the summer I pinched off the line to get by. If I ever have more than just one reason to disassemble the dash, I will do so and replace the valve. Now if I can ever get my seats back from the upholstery guy I can get back to driving the thing. I have also replaced all the belts and hoses while the car has been down.

Lancia in Montana