Converting from points to electronic ignition

Looking for help with a mechanical problem? This is the place to find help!
jprisbe

Converting from points to electronic ignition

Post by jprisbe » Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:37 pm

I am considerig converting my '76 Spiders ignition from points/condenser to electronic with one of the Crane XR3000 units from Vick's or IAP.

Anyone done this? Anyone have any comments/suggestions about doing this?

Thanks,

Jon Prisbe
Fruitport, MI
"76SPYDR"

skeeterbomb

Post by skeeterbomb » Fri Sep 30, 2005 8:11 pm

Jon,
I have the unit bought and paid for but haven't installed yet. Will be one of my winter to-do-list items. I've had problems with my stock ignition and IAP said this would do the trick.
Hope to see you and the mrs next July.

Wayne Yost
75 124 Spider

jprisbe

Post by jprisbe » Fri Sep 30, 2005 9:51 pm

Let me know how it goes.

We'll definitely be at FFO next year.

Did that radio work for you?

Jon Prisbe
Fruitport, MI
"76SPYDR"
aka "76 SPY DoctoR"
aka "76 SPY DRive"

motoduck

Post by motoduck » Sat Oct 01, 2005 2:34 am

I did this conversion years and years ago to a Mitsubishi/Dodge Challenger. It's easy to do and works well....but, the black box failed within a few months as I recall. So, I'm not real hot on Crane....But, that was some time ago and I was much younger and ham fisted. I could've been something I did to f*** it up.

But overall, I'm very into these conversions. I recently converted my dual point pain in the ass Guzzi ignition to Dyna electronic....OMG! It starts and runs like a clock! Does Dyna make these for cars? I spent $450 (including coils) just to get rid of the points! Seems goofy to me, but I don't regret it in the least.

Does Crane still use a optical pickup? I always thought this was a week spot. Especially if your dist. lets in any dirt/dust/oil. Magnetic pickup/hall effect works more reliably in this case. Regardless, make sure you distributar shaft has a good o-ring/seal/fit, and if there are any "holes" in the cap where wires use to come in (or wires that come in now) use some silicone/RTV to seal those off. Cheap insurance.

Shawn F.

'89 Moto Guzzi Lemans
'81 Lancia basketcase