carb to manifold to head to motor

Looking for help with a mechanical problem? This is the place to find help!
motoduck

carb to manifold to head to motor

Post by motoduck » Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:28 am

I'll figure out the answer soon enought when I compare the parts, but...I thought I would throw it out here first.

Will a '74 Fiat TC 1800 head work with a '81 Lancia 2L motor?
If so, what to do about the different distributers?
Will said '74 intake manifold match up to the 2L Lancia head?
If so, will the '74 Fiat carb, or (probably the same) a Weber 32 DATRA carb work with the 2L Lancia motor or should it be re-jetted?

This is kind of a mix and match scheme to just get the car running. From there I'll be able to drive it to my place (at my ex's now;) in order to do some meaningful work on it.

Shawn F.

'89 Moto Guzzi Lemans
'81 Lancia basketcase

jonl1968
FLU Vice President

Post by jonl1968 » Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:55 am

>Will a '74 Fiat TC 1800 head work with a '81 Lancia 2L motor?

Yes, all 1800/2L heads areinterchangeable with blocks...no problem. Difference is in the cam towers. TheLancia cam towers have oil drainback holes that are oriented for he 20 deg tilt of the engine in the Lancia application. As long as you run the correct towers, heads are a direct swap.

>If so, what to do about the different distributers?

You will want to use the correct distibutor for the application. If installing the Fiat head in the Lancia, use the Lancia's distributor and vias versa. Not interchangable AFAIK.

>Will said '74 intake manifold match up to the 2L Lancia head?

Yup, bolt patterns on the heads are all the same. Lancia intake can bolt to a Fiat head and visa versa. Only thing is you cannot use the Lancia intake on a Fiat application and visa versa due to the angle of the intake. The Lancia enine sits at a 20 deg angle in it's application so the angle would be wrong if installed on a Fiat.

>If so, will the '74 Fiat carb, or (probably the same) a Weber 32 DATRA carb work with the 2L Lancia motor or should it be re-jetted?

Here is where I will throw ya. The carbs are not going to be interchangable. The float bowls on the Lancia carbs are designed to sit in a tranverse position not straight line as in the Fiats.

In essence, the heads themselves are directly compatible as long as you bolt the correct ancillaries onto them (cam towers, distributors, intake/exhaust mani, carbs, etc..)

Jon Logan
FLU Membership Director
1979 Spider 1800 head, twin IDFs

motoduck

Post by motoduck » Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:58 pm

Jon, thank you very much.

I'll probably play with my new parts this weekend just so I can understand visually what you are talking about. Basically though, it sounds like you have brought me good news and bad news about parts I've picked up recently.

That's not a worry though. I may already have someone interested in some of the parts for their Fiat, and, I just got off the phone with someone who may have the Lancia parts I need. Life is good.

Most importantly, I'm having the most fun learning all of this as I go. And the people.....I can't believe the people I'm getting connected with, including this group, that so share this passion. I do believe I finally found the car that defines my personality in more ways than just transportation.

Thanks again for everything.

Shawn F.

'89 Moto Guzzi Lemans
'81 Lancia basketcase