FFO 2011 date / location announcement

Discussions about events around the US and aboard.

Moderator: KevinB

FFO 2011 date / location announcement

Postby KevinB » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:02 am

Fiat FreakOut 2011 will be held in Nashville, TN from July 21-24, 2011

8)

stay tuned to www.flu.org for further details.
85 Bertone (24k orig miles)
KevinB
FLU Board of Directors

FFO 2011

Postby dndstacey » Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:05 pm

It was very disappointing to see that BOTH Canadian proposals were rejected and other proposals solicited along with GUIDELINES requiring prices and other amenities.

I thought it would be up to the membership to decide whether to attend or not, effectively voting on the venue with their wheels and pocketbooks. I can understand a vote by the Board to choose between the two proposals but not to turn them down.

I know that Jerry has been trying to work out a proposal for a number of years and has a team of volunteers ready and willing!
If the terms were not acceptable were they informed and have an opportunity to correct the items or just turned down.

As a chapter who has done 2 FFOs in the past, I know how much goes into the planning and the disappointment with the rejection of all that work.[/b]
FLU WNYSO coordinator
contact at fluricambi@aol.com
1968 850 Spider
1980 2000 Spider
1981 Lancia Zagato
dndstacey

Postby KevinB » Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Hi Darryl:

Actually, no proposals were rejected.

Montreal stated at FFO 10 their desire to host FFO 11, and shortly after, submitted a proposal. Shortly after that, Toronto submitted a package to host 11. The BOD reviewed both proposals and asked for clairification, and /or, additional detail.

Both Toronto and Montreal withdrew their respective proposals after that.

The BOD sent out a soliitation requesting FFO proposals. Toronto submitted a modified proposal, and the BOD also reeived the Nasheville proposal.

I motioned that the BOD cast votes to choose between these, and this happened.

Every submittal involves significant work and comittment to bring a proposal to the table, and the BOD struggled to make the best possible decision on behalf of the membership.

I hope that the Canadian based chapters do submit future proposals for review, because those chapters bring significant passion and enthusiam to the table.

Not every FFO will be appropriate for every member, but with increasing costs, complexity, attendance volume, etc... the BOD will continue to struggle with this decision. There is action underway to provide FFO proposal guidelines to help make the submittals more uniform in content such that the BOD will be comparing apples to apples. This will further to ensure quality events will continue to be a part of FLU in the future....

Best regards,
Kevin
Last edited by KevinB on Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
KevinB
FLU Board of Directors

Postby sjmst2 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:04 am

Good that we have the correct information out there. Easy to get the wrong impression, thanks, Kevin for setting the record straight. Much respect for the Canadians, and look forward to a FFO up there as soon as 2012!
Sam G.
FLU Board Member
Long Island, NY
1981 Fiat Spider
2012 Fiat 500
sjmst2

Postby Nick Puopolo » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:01 pm

The Toronto and Monteria chapters preparing for over six months and each put in a bid. We were not given any guidelines or requirement we had to meet.

On August 3, 2010 The Toronto Chapter and Montreal were invited to attend a web meeting to discuss are submissions with the board.

Because there were no guidelines in place to review submission ,as John Montgomery clearly admit to,
some board member nitpicked on every aspect of the two proposal.
This was also admitted to me by both Bobb and Thad( FLU board
members)

On August 4 2010 we received and e-mail from the board with follow-up
question we must answer before the board can vote on the two proposals .

The Toronto Chapter responded the same day , we revised are proposal to meet ALL requirements given to us in the follow up questions.

On August 6, 2010 I received an e-mail from John Montgomery
with the following message.

"Votes were coming in today, but they were voting "NO" as presented. At this
point both plans as presented will not be approved nor have the votes to
bring a majority. It became clear today that either plan did not have the
votes to carry so the suspension resulted instead. "

THIS GAVE THE TORONTO CHAPER THE IMPRESSION THAT BOTH BIDS WERE VOTED ON AND REJECTED

On August 9, 2010 ,Because are submissions were rejected by the board ,both chapters withdrew are proposals because are chapters Hotel had a signing deadline which ended that same night. The board members were fully aware of the Hotel deadline.

Later on I was informed by Bobb and Thad that the board had screwed up the Toronto bed. The board members were not given our revised proposal which met the criteria from the follow up questions. The board was never given the opportunity to vote on the revised Toronto submission. The vote taken was only to approve or reject the Montreal bid.

Knowing this information John Montgomery still sent out an email indicating
"At this point BOTH plans as presented will not be approved , EITHER PLAN
did not have the votes to carry so the suspension resulted instead. "

Bobb and Thad agreed the only thing to do to correct this issue was to have
the Board vote on the Toronto proposal which met all the requirements given to us in the follow up questions. So the Toronto Chapter
resubmits the revised Toronto proposal .

But instead of looking at the Toronto bid and correct the mistake made by
not voting on it, which John admitted to in an e-mail dated Aug 15, 2010

"There is no question that mistakes have been made during this process."

he sent out an e-mail on Aug 14, 2010 to all the chapters to submit proposal for the 2011 FLU because there were no proposals on the table.

A month after Jerry resubmitted the revised bid (Sept 22, 2011) and days before the board members were to vote all the new proposals, Jerry received an e-mail indicating the board members did not received the Toronto revised proposal
( the person in charge had misplaced it form when jerry sent it in August) and to please resend it so it can be sent to the board members to be voted on with the Nashville proposal.

I have e-mail to back up eveything I have indicated above!

I your going to tell the members what happend , the I expect you to tell the entire story

The Toronto members are not happy with what transpierd and will be holding there own event on July 15,27,17 2011

Any and all members are welcome to attend !

Nick Puopolo
Nick Puopolo

Postby chazjeffries » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:09 pm

Perhaps a simpler form of bidding for FFO is what is needed. Gather up the list of chapters that can provide the necessities and pick the winner from a hat.
Charley H. Jeffries
1975 Lancia Beta Coupe
1974 Dodge B300
1991 Dodge Daytona ES Coupe
chazjeffries

The FFO11 selection process documentation record

Postby JohnMontgomery » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:49 pm

Hi All,
I talked to Jerry Cucchiara this past Monday night, Oct. 4th and it was a very good conversation. Whatever happens and perhaps you don't know but you should...Jerry is a friend to everyone in the club and has proved his love of all FLU members, Canadien and American. He's a very special person, anyone can see that and this whole ordeal has certainly caused a lot of diffcult moments. I think we should use his example, calm down and get back to the enjoyable hobby part of the car club.
So I am at fault in some folks eyes, but also to some degree more or less, so is everyone involved in the process. Yes, even those who made proposals. I have the entire compilation of E mail copies in cronological order to fully illustrate the path that took FFO11 to the Nashville location. Lots of people may be angry, but Canada was not slighted and these E mail copies fully back it up. I will send it to anyone who asks but I will not put in in a public forum. E mail me at bertoneman@aol.com with a request.
I am not in the business of trying to destroy people, their friends or their good name. This is a car club, not a jury trial. Anyone who wants to hurt the club or a Chapter or a certain group could try to pull stuff out of any E mail to use it for that purpose. I'm not doing it. One other thing...I am also sleeping well knowing that all that could be done was done. The E mail dialog is so very long it will take well over an hour to read it all.
I am proud of the Board and their willingness to bend over backward yet keep their eyes on what is in the best interest of the entire club. The people on the board have experience and their heart is in the right place. That is all that matters... so let's move forward.
Let's try to get beyond all the mis-steps, misunderstandings, USA vs. Canada and bad feelings now. Why? Here's the point and bottom line:

Fiat is coming back. They will be back in a few months with cars to sell. There appears to be two shows, one in Niagara at White Oaks and another one a week later in Nashville, TN. The distance is 730 miles, 12 hours drive time and one time zone difference. By the time July 2011 gets here, thousands of new Fiats will be on the road. There will be interest in an enthusiast group by these new owners and the new cars will only foster more interest in the old cars.
So, I think Fiat corporate should expect and deserve to have the support of enthusiasts that aren't fueding over all the things that have happened. There is plenty of room on the continent, and the possibility exists that enthusiasts can choose to attend one show or both shows, depending on their proximity, interest level and amount of vacation time & money.
So I think at this point it would be best to devote our respective energies to constructing a good show in both places. Both hotels will fill up and folks will have a good time. It's our job to make that happen. Let's do it and quit bickering.
Thanks,
John Montgomery
John Montgomery
Greenville, SC
FLU President
2012 Fiat 500 Prima Edizione #77 of 500
1986 Bertone X 1/9
1994 Audi A6 Sedan
2002 Mercury Cougar V6
1974 AMC Ambassador
Go-Ped Motor Scooter (150 MPG)
2008 Cub Cadet i1046 Zero Turn Tractor
JohnMontgomery
FLU President

Postby krazeyone » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:15 pm

so there is going to be two Fiat Freak Outs for the year of 2011? I'd like to make a proposal to the b.o.d. I'd like to have a third freak out here in Prospect, Connecticut. There may only be 3 people attending , so maybe I will call it the Fiat Flake Out? there will be plenty of room for tents, and if I get any sponsers there might be a porta-potty. I have some old t-shirts and plenty of perminant markers, so yes, "Flake OUT 2011" shirts can be orderd, but orders need to be in by tonight so they can be drawn by time of event, sorry cash only! Whats the saying, " love you, love your show"? P.S bring bagged lunch
krazeyone

Postby ga.spyder » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:58 pm

Krazyone,It is too late for this year but your proposal is definitely noted for 2012!! Uhhh...2 porta pots please,you know how girls are :D
John,well stated as usual.There is no sense in this war of words going any further.Bottom line,the proposal we felt was best will be the FFO. 2011 venue and the Toronto show will be an outstanding event as well.So...support one or both with your attendance
Craig Nelson
FLU Board of Directors
82 Spider 2000
81 Fiat X1/9(the wifes ride)
nuker598@yahoo.com
ga.spyder

Postby krazeyone » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:55 pm

they can't both be called a freak out, can they?
krazeyone

Postby KevinB » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:25 pm

They are not both FreakOut.

Fiat FreakOut 2011 is in Nashville, Tn

I am not aware that a name has been picked for the Toronto show, but I am sure thay will put of a fine show.
KevinB
FLU Board of Directors

Postby wildman » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:20 pm

The Toronto members are not happy with what transpierd and will be holding there own event on July 15,27,17 2011

Any and all members are welcome to attend !

I would love to attend this? have to look into crossing the border, i understand its alot more difficult now..

Anyway its an event they can call it whatever they wish! :roll:

I also think the FLU has some big heads,, I thought it was our club?
wildman

Postby KevinB » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:17 am

wildman wrote:I would love to attend this? have to look into crossing the border, i understand its alot more difficult now..

Anyway its an event they can call it whatever they wish! :roll:

I also think the FLU has some big heads,, I thought it was our club?

PM's sent
KevinB
FLU Board of Directors

Re: FFO 2011 date / location announcement

Postby harry56 » Thu May 25, 2017 4:14 am

The 2300 wagon was a pretty awesome car unfortunately I can't see your pics though.

gclub
harry56

Return to Events