Video I made of the new 500's real-world mpg capabilities

Come here to talk about the new 500 !
Shaun Folkerts

Video I made of the new 500's real-world mpg capabilities

Post by Shaun Folkerts » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:02 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxsTv1Inlc8

This little car continues to impress us with it's balance of fun, practicality, and economy. Loving it so far! Will have a chance to test out its highway fuel economy later this month. Stay tuned for updates!

Hope you're all out there enjoying your Fiats old and new!
FLU Member #443 (1989-current)
Southeastern Pennsylvania
MINIER than MINI, SMARTER than SMART
http://www.fiatlancia.com/store.html

rpconlon

Post by rpconlon » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:05 pm

Shaun:
Next step would be test the accuracy of the readout.
Those figures are very good.

Ron
Ron Conlon
2016 Fiat 500 Sport
Ottawa, Ontario
Canada

JarrodWeaver

Post by JarrodWeaver » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:47 pm

Well done Shaun, you are definitely beating me. Since I drive around town a lot, its 100°+ here, and the Texas Death Ride (I-35) requires full throttle high RPM entrances I'm not at all disappointed with 36-38 MPG. Wish I could bump that above 40 - maybe in winter with more dense air and the a/c switched off...
Jarrod Weaver

500 Sport

Fiat Spider
Pinninfarina Spider
Fiat Brava
Lancia Beta
Lancia HPE

Danno

Post by Danno » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:37 pm

This is excellent news. Now, someone decide that the 500 doesn't meet their needs and sell it to me. Actually, put it in a garage for about a year and then we'll talk. It's killing me to stick to my rule about not taking that new car hit, but I've learned my lesson about new cars and auto loans.

Shaun Folkerts

Post by Shaun Folkerts » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:03 am

First-ever and last-ever new car here. But at least it was a good choice for that one-time exception!

Ron, you know I'm a scientist through-and-through. I've kept detailed records of every drop of gasoline put into this car (actually, that of every car I've ever owned!) in the United States (I can't account for the fuel put into the car at the factory in Mexico). Since every gallon and every tenth mile is accounted for from the time the car was new (technically, from when it had 103 miles on it, at its first fill-up), I can tell you that the average error in the factory computer's mpg readout is right around 1mpg (exactly 1.185mpg over the first 3008.6 measured miles) to the optimistic side.

The vast majority of the driving has been suburban...mainly taking my daughter to her soccer, swimming, dance, music, baseball, art, etc. classes in surrounding towns. Some highway in there (Carlisle weekend, for example) and some city (Baltimore, Reading) as well. That's about to get skewed more toward highway as we're planning a 2000+ mile road-trip in the next month.

Next calculations post will probably be at around 6,000-6,500 miles on the odometer.

S

rpconlon

Post by rpconlon » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:01 am

Excellent stuff as usual.
The new 500 owner here got hail damage on his car. My 4000 mile Hyundai has a wavy finish now. I don't record my figures but do calculate MPG at each fill and use it as a guide to running condition.
My old Fiat spider got ~ 28 MPG with continuous 1000mile highway driving last week and used/dripped about 1/8 inch down on the dipstick.

Cheers
Ron
Ron Conlon
2016 Fiat 500 Sport
Ottawa, Ontario
Canada

Danno

Post by Danno » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:22 pm

When I bought my Aerio in 2003 i saved all the receipts and recorded all the miles. I just sold the car last year. I haven't updated my excel spreadsheet for a couple years, but just seeing the trends and capabilities is so cool. Here is an old picture of how it did:

also with that same data here is some info on the gas prices I paid back then:

then you could use monthly averages over the years to see seaonal changes. I know there are a lot of factors that play into it, like more highway (summer vacations) when I'm not working, and idling to warm up in the winter, etc, etc... but it's still interesting to see it represented graphically.

These numbers (just so there is no confusion) are from an AWD Suzuki Aerio SX (2003).

Shaun, you are gonna be the goto MPG man for the 500, so keep on with the data, cause I wanna see those charts!!!!!

Shaun Folkerts

Post by Shaun Folkerts » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:37 am

I don't have the fancy charts (good work, Danno!), but I do have data regarding every fill-up. Been doing this since the 1980s...why stop now?!?! LOL!

Just filled up the 500 again yesterday. 46.02mpg calculated. Will be taking it on a roadtrip soon. Looking forward to seeing how well it does on the highway! A personal goal is to go 500 (appropriately enough...) miles on a tank. Could possibly have done it on the last tank, but it would have been really unpopular with the family to run out of gas so I decided not to risk it. :^)

Danno

Post by Danno » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:46 am

Shaun Folkerts wrote:I don't have the fancy charts (good work, Danno!), but I do have data regarding every fill-up.
It's just Microsoft Excel. Nothing fancy!!!

Denise

Post by Denise » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:02 am

Shaun, I've noticed these several weeks while driving three hours a day on the interstate that our little cars don't perform as well mpg wise above the 70 mph mark. For max mpg it likes between 55-65 on flat roads. Also, have you check the accuracy of your speedo? Mine seems to be off 3 mph on the slow side.

Shaun Folkerts

Post by Shaun Folkerts » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:30 am

Denise, I do try to keep speed between 60-70, but occasionally need to go faster when that's the safer thing to do (like when traffic is 70-80mph). I usually set the cruise (when I use it) at around 60 or 65 when traffic conditions allow. To be honest, though, almost all of our mileage has been suburban...and it's pretty hilly around where we live. I can actually account for ALL of Prima 11's interstate highway time because it's such a rare occurrence:
1. when the car was new, I drove it home from VA (95-495-695-83-30-222)
2. one round-trip between Allentown and Newark Airport (78)
3. two round-trips between home and Carlisle for Carlisle weekend (176-76)
4. two round-trips between home and Baltimore (222-30-83-695)

I use a Garmin 775t GPS unit that has a real-time speed display that always says exactly what those road-side radar sign trailer things say when we pass them, so it seems pretty accurate, at least by that verification method. The 500 is usually really close to the Garmin, but a bit "slow" (maybe 2-3mph), similar to what you mention yours does. Fiat (and every car maker) builds that in intentionally to keep their legal departments happy...just imagine the mayhem that would break out if speedometers registered LOWER than actual speed! Carmakers would be paying all speeding tickets, lawyers would get rich in class-action suits, etc.

Will be embarking on a 2000+ mile trip soon and will report back on highway economy.

Denise

Post by Denise » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:56 am

I don't know. My 99 Grand Prix is spot on with the Garmin. If the speedo is off 3 mph then you are losing an average of 500 miles per 10,000 driven. That's 1 1/2 tanks of gas.