A real head turner

Come here to talk about the new 500 !
Denise

A real head turner

Post by Denise » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:05 am

I am simply amazed at the attention my #19 is getting and who is showing interest. Most even know what it is:

The hispanic guys working at the local mexican restaurant.
A woman filling up at the gas station.
Two big middle aged construction workers
An old fella in a big Mercedes stopped beside me in traffic
A little old black man in the Advance Auto parking lot
My mother. She learned to drive in a Fiat Topolino.
The women I race against at the gokart track.
My daughter's teenage friends
Two young black guys that stopped me at O'Reilly Auto Parts to tell me they drove my car off the train at the terminal. They were the most excited to actually see one of these cars on the road.

Everyone has shown favorable interest except the young guys in a Mini Cooper that were pointing at my car and laughing while we were sitting at a stop light. They started revving their engine so I pushed the Sport button and when the light turned green I burned 'em. Guess who's laughing now? :D

sjmst2

Re: A real head turner

Post by sjmst2 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:36 pm

Denise wrote:I am simply amazed at the attention my #19 is getting and who is showing interest. Most even know what it is:

The hispanic guys working at the local mexican restaurant.
A woman filling up at the gas station.
Two big middle aged construction workers
An old fella in a big Mercedes stopped beside me in traffic
A little old black man in the Advance Auto parking lot
My mother. She learned to drive in a Fiat Topolino.
The women I race against at the gokart track.
My daughter's teenage friends
Two young black guys that stopped me at O'Reilly Auto Parts to tell me they drove my car off the train at the terminal. They were the most excited to actually see one of these cars on the road.

Everyone has shown favorable interest except the young guys in a Mini Cooper that were pointing at my car and laughing while we were sitting at a stop light. They started revving their engine so I pushed the Sport button and when the light turned green I burned 'em. Guess who's laughing now? :D
LOL, great Denise!
Sam G.
FLU Board Member
Long Island, NY
1981 Fiat Spider
2012 Fiat 500

tokarev

Interest in PE189

Post by tokarev » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:29 am

I 've had conversations at stop lights, movie parking lot, Loews parking lot, twice at five guys burgers (one guy circled the car mumbling "its a Fiat 500") and a bunch more. Most have never heard of Fiat. Some were past Fiat owners. Generally all liked what they saw.
You can never have to many firearms or military vehicles.

grittracing

Post by grittracing » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:08 am

do they have a lot of power?. I love them been to the dealer here in detroit A few times (its where we have out monthly Flu meetings )walked around them 100s of times. But not in the market just yet, not yet working on getting the spider done than going to start on the ghia. Figure that will get me till my 14 yr old gets her license then dad will have a great reason to buy one for his honor roll kid. Ge thanks now i have to go test drive one!
1980 Fiat spider
1966 ford f-100

Denise

Post by Denise » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:03 pm

They're not the most powerful, but they have plenty of power to go down the highway, merge into traffic, you know, your regular driving. If you need a bit more pep, you can downshift and rev it high. The Sport button gives it a bit more boost too. I've already got 8000 miles on #19 and most of it has been highway driving. I'm surprised I don't feel much buffering from passing semis. the car is very stable and just a joy to drive.

janet70

Having a blast

Post by janet70 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:36 pm

Since the engine has broken in now and I become accustomed to driving it, my MPGs in the Prima Edizione have increased, even though I am driving it with more verve! I am currently averaging, according to the instant economy display, 36.2 MPGs. Folks still grin, stare, and point everywhere I go!
Janet Bailey

fiatjanet@aol.com

Now- "Rosie" the 2012 FIAT Prima Edizione #365, color- Rosso
"Sparky" the 1970 Fiat 124 Spider, rebuilt 1438cc engine, repainted #120 Racing Red
"Reggie the Wedgie" the 1980 Fiat X1/9, colors metallic brick red and pewter two-tone

Then-1978 Fiat Spider, 1756cc engine. Stripped, parted out, cannibalized and junked
1976 Fiat X/19

sjmst2

Post by sjmst2 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:57 am

I cannot ever drive it without getting multiple stares questions, smiles and thumbs-up. Every day. The mirthmobile.
Sam G.
FLU Board Member
Long Island, NY
1981 Fiat Spider
2012 Fiat 500