Jounce Bumper Failure

Talk everything technical and new 500 here!
FLU4229

Jounce Bumper Failure

Post by FLU4229 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:24 pm

I starting getting noise from my front end left front wheel when hitting bumps in the road. Problem was diagnosed as jounce bumper problem that there is a tech bulletin on to replace them on the struts on 2012 and early 2013 500s. It appears that both struts are going to be completely dismantled and the new redesigned part installed and then the car realigned . Any others had this issue as it is on the internet and seems to be common since the assembly has been redesigned. Part had to be ordered. looks like a major job for a car with 17,000 miles but thankfully still under warranty. Not a good sign on suspension design and future potential problems.

LANCIAHF

Re: Jounce Bumper Failure

Post by LANCIAHF » Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:11 pm

Yes this has happened to me, along with 4 new steering columns, one bad ignition coil and a set of new control arms. BTW my car has 32,000.00 miles.

Symptoms of a bad column are knocking noises when you are turning the wheel back and forth at an idle while stopped.. I have been told by the dealer the intermediate shaft is bad on the 500s.

FLU4229

Post by FLU4229 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:42 pm

Well like I said it does not look good for the future of my 500 then with all the issues you have had. I need to get rid of it now and get a Corolla . My 10 year old Scion xb has less issues. It has had NONE. Actually that is a lie.... I have worn out one ignition key and replaced both of the license plate bulbs. When they get the parts in and replace jounce bumpers I am sure i will get a call from FIAT about my service and car.... they are going to get a ear full this time. But I have a feeling just like in the 70s and early 80s...they will not care! I have had speedometer replaced, 2 ignition key remotes replaced, both FIAT emblems replaced, The drivers side window button replaced, a wheel replaced, A starter issue that took them 1 year and 10 months to fix, leaking taillights, and a radio system that changes what source it wants to play on its own. 17,000 miles of aggravation. They need to pull out of the US again. ANYONE builds better cars than they do. I love the way it drives but frankly they are just not worth the headaches.

LANCIAHF

Post by LANCIAHF » Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:45 pm

Contact the national Fiat rep and explain your problems. They were nice enough to extend the warranty on my car.