Ball joint failure

Talk everything technical and new 500 here!
Denise

Ball joint failure

Post by Denise » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:23 am

I've got 38k miles on my Sport and started noticing a clunking sound in the right front wheel area when turning left. The lower ball joint was the culprit. Fiat of the Triad replaced it from another car on the lot since there is a 3 month waiting period on the part. This is my first major problem with the car.

bcripe

Re: Ball joint failure

Post by bcripe » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:25 pm

That is not good to hear!

Thanks for the info, let's hope it was an isolated bad part!

Bert
Port Orchard WA
PE#480

rpconlon

Post by rpconlon » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:44 am

That sounds more like a CV joint.

Ron
Ron Conlon
2016 Fiat 500 Sport
Ottawa, Ontario
Canada

Denise

Post by Denise » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:16 pm

They swapped out the entire control arm from another car to repair it due to the long waiting period for parts.

Denise

Post by Denise » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:04 pm

Ron, you may be right. The dealership just mailed my copy of the repair order and it looks like they replaced the control arm/ball joint, half shaft and wheel bearing. Interesting.

rpconlon

Post by rpconlon » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:29 pm

A common symptom of failing CV joint is "clicking" while turning a tight corner. This is a front wheel drive thing.
It could be from a torn boot tossing the grease out and rusting or a poor part or even a good hard knock as well as normal wear. Modern CV joints are very much better and generally last a long time.

I hope it is an isolated incident.
Getting parts for new models is never easy. All parts go into construction of new cars.

Cheers
Ron
Ron Conlon
2016 Fiat 500 Sport
Ottawa, Ontario
Canada

Denise

Post by Denise » Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:37 am

It definitely didn't act like a cv joint failure and they didn't tell me anything about replacing it so I'll want to ask the technician what he found.

Pope

Post by Pope » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:26 am

Denise, that was the side I sat on in your car. Sorry about that.
1980 FI Fiat Spider
Motown USA

davel

Post by davel » Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:51 pm

Mine was making a clicking noise when turning hard right. The dealer claimed to have changed the CV joint and now the car makes the noise when turning hard either direction. I plan to test drive a new car on the lot and see if they all do it or just mine. They also were to have fixed the fast running clock. Now the clock losses about 5 minuets a month. My car has 17,000 miles on it and is a year and 5 months old.
1981 Spider 2000, 1981 Spider LE badge 277, 1980 Spider FI
2012 Fiat 500 badge 277

rsseeds

Post by rsseeds » Mon May 13, 2013 11:10 am

Just wanted to let other owners know that I've also experienced similar symptoms in my 2013 500c (3k mi). The dealer has looked at it twice, replacing the steering rack last time, but that has not eliminated the clunk (sound and feel) in the steering wheel. I'm going to raise the "ball joint failure issue" when I go in for my spring oil change shortly! I appreciate anything else other owners care to share about their related experiences. I'll be sure to keep this forum informed of my progress.

rsseeds

Post by rsseeds » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:05 am

I followed up on this steering issue during my recent oil change and the service tech discovered that my front anti-sway bar was not fully tightened during the previous steering rack change-out. That seems to have taken care of the problem - steering is definitely more solid as well as quiet. Hopefully my steering rack defect was a rare occurrence? The service manager says there has been no technical bulletin from Chrysler Group on this.

minioninnc

Post by minioninnc » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:39 pm

44,800 miles and both ball joints on my 2012 500 failed. Brand new tires and the fronts are worn totally out. Said this was the worst they have saw with ball joints being worn out.

LANCIAHF

Post by LANCIAHF » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:35 pm

Hi All,

I'm going through this with my 2013 500 POP with ... wait for it.... 13,500 miles. First the steering was clunking while I turned the steering wheel back and forth at an idle. Turned out to be a cracked steering column. I had to wait since October to get the part. Now like Denise I have a major noise coming from the lower front drivers side. Just dropped it off tonight for the second time to get this fixed.

Kind a losing faith in my mexican/polish non italian Italian car. oh wait there is P Diddy or whatever his name is.... now I feel better.

wildman

Post by wildman » Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:28 am

My ball joints are shot I'm unable to find any dealer is useless. I'm never buying another fiat.
The things beenup on stands in my driveway since there was snow on the ground, I'm a little bit pissed.

wildman

Post by wildman » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:08 am

Just got off the phone with fiat customer service. My 500 came with 3 years 36000 miles coverage.
That's over now, so when my ball joints went I took the car apart,, can't find the replacements anywhere. So after talking to fiat USA support I find out they have replaced the stamped metal control arms on our cars with a cast piece, this requires different half shafts, tie rod ends and wheel bearings, it's over $1400 worth of parts.. Also tell me I have coverage for 4 years and 48000 miles,, wish I knew that because while I enjoy working on cars I have better things to do..

That said I have to put the car back together, tow it to them because it's not safe to drive, and get it fixed under the extended coverage they never informed me I have. In fact I'm looking at a letter staining to get extended coverage before March of this year,,,, WTF

If your car makes a clunking sound on big bumps or turns get it in NOW! Make them bastards fix it they are waiting for your coverage to expire so that can hit you with this ridiculously expensive fix!