Multiple leaks

Talk everything technical and new 500 here!

Moderator: KevinB

Multiple leaks

Postby markbone1 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:04 am

Hi All,

I just returned from my FIAT dealership where I had a 25k oil change and tire rotation done on my 2012 500 Sport. While doing his inspection on the car the tech noticed "multiple fluid leaks from engine/transmission area." He said that he had another 500 in last week that showed the same symptoms. Is this something unique to me or a problem that is now surfacing on these cars at this mileage? Love the car to death and want to keep it running for a long time. I have manual transmission and have made an appointment for further diagnosis next week. Any advice or guidance is hugely appreciated.

Cheers,
Mark
markbone1

Re: Multiple leaks

Postby fiatnut » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:59 am

I have two 500's with no leaks also as contact of our chapter members usually email me issues I havent seen that one yet? :o
fiatnut

Postby markbone1 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:52 pm

Its going in for a diagnosis on Tues. 4/2/13 I have not seen any drops of fluid on my garage floor. Keeping my fingers crossed. Going to Gengras Fiat in Hartford, CT where I bought it.
markbone1

Postby opus10583 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:38 am

markbone1 wrote:I just returned from my FIAT dealership where I had a 25k oil change and tire rotation done on my 2012 500 Sport. While doing his inspection on the car the tech noticed "multiple fluid leaks from engine/transmission area." He said that he had another 500 in last week that showed the same symptoms. Is this something unique to me or a problem that is now surfacing on these cars at this mileage? Love the car to death and want to keep it running for a long time. I have manual transmission and have made an appointment for further diagnosis next week. Any advice or guidance is hugely appreciated.

Hi,

There's a 'service bulletin' for leaking coolant catch tank hoses/fittings. My Abarth was "evaporating" coolant during the winter, I never noticed pooling or dripping; at a recent service sealant and new hose clamps were applied.

Ciao,
Mark
Compri il Biglietto; Prendete la Gita! - Hunter Tompson

1978 124 CS1
2012 500 Abarth
opus10583

Postby markbone1 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:35 pm

All FYI,

I made it to my diagnostic appointment yesterday at my FIAT dealer. Turns out that the main seal is fine. The minor seepage was around the oil pan gasket which is pretty common, but not on a car this new. They will replace the gasket at my next oil change in 5K since I'm using full synthetic. Turns out that the oil changer was being overly thorough (good thing) in making reports of any possible issues. The replacement will be free since it is within the warranty. My FIAT technician assured me that everything else looked great, and that he felt that these were really well made cars now that he's been working on them for some time. That's reassuring to hear, and I don't think he was B-Sing me. Thanks for the recommendations and support by FLU. This is a terrific forum!

Cheers!
Mark
markbone1

Postby FLU766 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:11 am

My wife just bought an Abarth for her daily commute. We have it for right around 1500 miles and I noticed the coolant tank was down to the min mark and the top of the tank had pink fluid on it. We had the dealer come get it yesterday and replace the return hose clamp. The clamps look like some kind of single use clamps and don't feel very snug. I may ask them to replace them with regular screw down clamps if this happens again. Other than that there have been no problems... but what should you expect in 1500 miles. Much of which was a trip from PA to Connecticut over Easter. It was fun to surprise various cars when our little Scorpian decorated ride passed them.
FLU766

Postby markbone1 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:01 am

I have posted previously about coolant leaks because this seems to be an issue with these cars. I believe that everything has been taken care of by replacing the clamps. Another twist to this issue—and I'm addressing my fellow New Englanders here—is that of our colder climate. My tech pointed out once the engine was warm the components expanded, so any leaks stopped. My theory is that this is a design flaw by FIAT. They didn't consider the climate that some owners live in. As the weather is now warmer, I've been keeping an eye on it. My 2013 500 Turbo just went over 30k miles, so far so good.
markbone1

Return to 500 Tech