LED LIGHTBULBS

Tech chat w/ Marc Matzer
Marc

LED LIGHTBULBS

Post by Marc » Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:00 pm

LED lighting is replacing filament lightbulbs.I replaced the dash gauges with led style bulbs.Nice bright crisp light! You can actually see your gauges at night! An excellent upgrade!There are many new brands out there,I found the PIAA brand to be very good quality.They use dramatically less energy than filament bulbs.Example:Fiat side marker lights no# 158 3watt bulbs;4x3 watts =12 watts total...LED bulbs pull .025 microamps x 4=1 watt!
They are available in all sizes to fit your Fiat.They do not throw off heat like a filament bulb and are brighter and almost never burn-out!

bark

Post by bark » Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:10 pm

Here's a good website that spells out the details on LED bulb replacements for automotive applications.
http://www.superbrightleds.com/1157.htm

One caution for FIAT folks that I know of...LED lamps won't work in late Spider taillamps that have circuit boards. They should do fine for dash apps and sidemarker lamps if they'll fit. Front turn signals will require addition of a digital flasher as LEDs don't draw enough amps to operate w/ regular flasher relays.
In case you've ever wondered what the weird doubly terminated bulb in the courtesy lamp (Spider) is called, here's your answer. o-o b- :scratch:

Marc

Bark

Post by Marc » Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:46 pm

I have them installed in almost every bulb socket ,they work fine with a regular flasher in my 77.What bulbs wont fit on a 2000?They are designed to work on more modern cars than ours,the only issue is on some modern cars it can make a light burned out circiut appear on your dash because the current is so low it tricks the computer into telling it there is no current.Almost every honda and toyota has a circuit board on the tailights and they come with it stock.have you tried it on a 2000?I will install some on my buddies 2000 and see what happens.

Marc

Flasher

Post by Marc » Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:49 pm

The power is sent from the flasher to the bulbs,not the other way around,they work fine with a stock flasher,I just tried it.

bark

Post by bark » Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:09 am

The taillight issue w/ the circuit boards suposedly stems from the fat that LEDs are diodes and there's some sort of non-compatibility w/ the circuitry. But hey, I believed the LED lamp site when they said the flashers would have to be changed out, so what do I know? Go ahead and try it on a late model spider taillight. I'd be delighted to be proven wrong. b-

Marc

Flasher Function

Post by Marc » Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:37 pm

Flashers on our cars are powered from the fuse box to the flasher.The flasher windings cause the impulse, and power is sent out in a pulse mode to the recepticle.The flasher is grounded,so no matter what you put in the recepticle,it still recieves electrical current.
There are issues with modern cars today when changing to leds.Our cars are pretty simple wiring wise.I will check the tailights on a 2000 in the next few weeks or as soon as I see Raymond of Bayless fame again on his 2000 and let you know.I have found all the bulbs for my 77 124.
1157,1057,and the small dash and parking light bulbs were in stock at the local parts house.PIAA bulbs seem to work best,very bright light.They will make your dash lights actually visible at night,and the rheostat on the dash now has to be turned down a little!

Steve S

Post by Steve S » Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:02 pm

Instrument lights and similar applications are fine for superbright LEDs. I have tried using them in two different cars as Tail/brake lights with poor success.

They didn'd have a problem flashing, both cars flash rate stayed the same.

The problem I found was then all the light from the LEDs was directed out the 'top' of the bulb, or when installed, directly out the back of the car.

The first car I tried them on ,a 1997 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (P71) all I got was a small bright dot of light in the center of the tail light housing.
The housign was designed with reflectors to gather and reflect the bulbs' light across the face of the whole housing. Without any light coming from the sides of the LED bulb, the tail lights looked very small.

The same problem - with a slight variation - occurred on my other car, a 1964 Volvo PV544 sedan. On that car, the light bulbs actually stand proud of the reflector, so the light coming from the sides of the regualr publs also function as side marker lights, Again, with no light coming from the sides of the LED bulbs, I had no side lights,

The solution to this probelm would be an intelligent redesign of the LED bulb, They should have a ring og LEDs abour the outside, directing light at 90 degrees to the side, instead of all the light going straight out the top of the bulb,

Steve
1964 Volvo PV 544 Sedan (All-Volvo Resto-Rod)
1967 Fiat Abarth 100GC Sedan - in restoration.

Marc

LED Light ILLUmination

Post by Marc » Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:35 am

Good info Steve!I guess you have to try them on a particular car and see how they look. LEDS are made in different configurations.I will see hif I can find some different styles and report back to you.My 77 has simple reflectors and flat plastic colored light covers.They seem to work OK.The reverse lights are very bright and work great.

Ron

Post by Ron » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:16 am

GREETINGS!
8) :salute: [img]
Did you fellows ever sort-out the L.E.D. bulb swap question?
They work great in my US-made stuff, and mostly OK in me Datsun, with the exception bein' turn signals. After changing to a "heavy duty electronic" flasher like used in big trucks to handle 1 to many lights without speed change, they's still flashin way too slowly. I deals with it whilst looking for a fix, but can't see spending on what won't fix it.
THEN we met the Italian in the carport! Aye, she be a comely wench of a high maintenance sort.
Aaarrg.
By the way, I be Cmdr. Ron, the somewhat new owner of a "77 Spider what be sorely needin' TLC and rustication. She be in dry dock at present, but the repairs are of an emergency type. She'll be gettin' more better fixin', just not this week. More on that L8R.
We comes into this with eyes open, wits about us, and seekin' much knowin' from those who've been 'round the horn a time or two, an' don't mind sharin' it with a bloke. Thanks.![/img]
77 124 SPIDER , 82 DATSUN 720 DIESEL SD22 , 81 TOYOTA HI-LUX , 64 CORVAIR MONZA

Cmdr.Ron
I am swamped in Blessing!

Thad
FLU Board of Directors

2000 Spider tail light explanation

Post by Thad » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:14 pm

An LED is a diode which means current only flows in one direction. A typical bulb expects to have positive on the tip and ground around the base. 2000 Spider tail lights have a couple of locations where they are using positive around the base and negative on the tip. There is no easy way around this unless you cut up and rewire the circuit boards.
-Thad Kirk
Near Philadelphia, PA
1965 Fiat 600D
1971 Fiat 850 Racer
1981 Fiat Spider 2000
1984 Pininfarina Azzurra
2012 Fiat 500 Prima Edizione #100

Ron

Post by Ron » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:20 pm

Like yeast, a little MIS-understanding works much confusion. . . :cool: . . . Just inserting a couple corrections here, then I have questions & observations.

L.E.D. = Light Emitting Diode
- As VOLTAGE flows through an LED, it emits light, usually directionally. ___ :read: ___. AMP = Electrical draw or demand (like a dog pulling against a leash)
- They let VOLTAGE flow in only one direction by blocking the other path. ________ WATT = Measure of energy used (energy used to restrain the dog)
- They draw little CURRENT, so they consume intensely low WATTAGE. __________ .VOLT = Power available for use (authority over the dog - train & love it or don't have it.)
Write this (legibly) in your Service Manual if you can't remember it: VOLTS x AMPS = WATTS. Use this wisely. Armed with this information (above, at right), you are qualified to operate a light switch. :banana:
- As Marc wrote:
4 marker light bulbs using 3W each = 12W or 4 x 3W = 12W ____ 12W divided by 12V = 1A ____ That is a 1A load.
- 4 @ .025A per L.E.D. = 0.1A x 12V = 1.2W = a 0.1A load. ____ Using 1W Superbright L.E.D. replacements, you have 4 @ 1W = 4W. ____ 4W divided by 12V = a 1/3A load.

Marc -
THANK YOU for sharing your L.E.D. substitution / flasher exploration - especially about the dash lights. Did it progress any more? I've yet to be satisfied with my turn signals. One side is acceptably slow, but the other sometimes has to be operated manually - even with an electronic flasher. What do the lights within your headlights use? 1157-type substitutes? Are they visible with the low-beams on?

Cmdr. Ron
Royal Rangers, Blessed beyond measure!