82 Zagato Coupe

Scorp, Beta, Fulvia, Stratos, or ... Talk about your Lancia with other folks here.

Moderator: KevinB

82 Zagato Coupe

Postby kbee0 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:03 pm

Hello all,

I have an opportunity to purchase a Zagato Coupe. I am currently restoring a 124 Spider - and have had other Fiats.

I am not familiar with Zagato's other than they share some things with Fiat.

Can those that are familiar with these cars lend a hand in telling me what I should be looking for to determine the value of the car? I am sure parts will be hard to find, and it will be a miserable ownership experience....but hey, life is worth living, right? I could just buy a Chevy if I wanted easy....

Advice please?

Thank you from the bottom of my rusty heart.....

Loren

SE Wisconsin
kbee0

SE Wisconsin?

Postby leeputmanjr » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:58 pm

We just happen to have a 'Chicagoland' FLU chapter!

Lot's of people in the area who can help you out.

www.chicagolandFLU.com

-Lee
---------
The Put-Man
Founder of Chicagoland FLU

Now:
1969 Fiat 124 Sport Spider (Too new to be named yet)
1974 Fiat 124 Sport Spider 2000 (The Beast)
1978.5 Fiat 131 Brava Wagon (The Great White)
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Nellie)

Then:
83 Spider - Azzie
69 Spider - The Red Baroness
74 Spider - Bella
79 Spider - El Bitcho
72 Spider - Orangina
leeputmanjr

Postby 1,6 HF » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:04 am

Loren,

I've had three Beta Coupés over the years--essentially the same car as the Zagato. They share the same original engine design, except that Lancia was allowed to spend about a year re-engineering to refine it and rotate it to a transverse FWD layout. And other than that, the cars don't share a lot.

Parts are generally easy to find. The level of ownership misery will be related to the car's condition and maintenance history--not the essential quality of the car. If anything, Lancia's build quality was a bit better than Fiat. All three of mine, a '75, '79, and '81 were daily drivers. The '79 was crap--always some electrical issue from deferred maintenance. The '75 & '81 were just dead reliable, and with the '75 that included winter commuting in upstate NY.

The year will make a difference, too. The earlier cars are 1800; '79 and on is 2000. All the 1800s are essentially the same--just some minor aesthetic changes. Of the 2000s, the '79 with carb is generally accepted to be the worst, and it has a number of one-year-only parts, so that's an issue for that year. There was no '80, but the '81s and '82s have L-Jetronic fuel injection, and they're by far the best of the bunch, IMHO--far more bhp and better drivability.

If you're serious, you'll also want to check the lancisti forum:
http://www.lancisti.net/forum/content.php
Ed
1970 Fulvia 1,6 HF
1,6 HF

Return to Lancia Chat