'79 LBZ Desert A/C & Cooling Upgrade

Scorp, Beta, Fulvia, Stratos, or ... Talk about your Lancia with other folks here.

Moderator: KevinB

'79 LBZ Desert A/C & Cooling Upgrade

Postby JimFierst » Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:13 am

Just finished installing a modern, larger A/C condenser with 2 fans and a custom 4 row radiator with bigger fan in the 79 LBZ. Also added a water temp gauge at the bottom of the radiator tank to know the true temp going in to the engine .I have a head exit temperaturec gauge as well. The biggest part of the job was modifing the old sheet metal shrouds and building some new ones. Every shroud has rubber seals so the flow should be more than adaquate. Here in AZ cars with 70's A/C systems just don't cool in the 90+ degree weather. Engines run at very high temperature and I feel that is some of the reason for blown headgaskets. I won't be able to tell how good it does for 6 months but I am expecting modern like A/C performance.
1982 Fiat Spider; Turbo'd &WHOA Brakes Equip'd
1979 Lancia Beta Zagato, Performanced enhanced example of the breed
JimFierst

Postby allenlofland » Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:22 pm

Jim: I think you will get great cooling from your upgrade but we still need a stronger fan on the evaporator to flow the air into the living quarters better...I have been trying to discover how to step up the fan speed, New
Fan ? Voltage stepper ? what ever,
My Zagato is working very well and probably have about the sam capacity with the 82 as you now have with your 79, and it is working very well in the summer until you reach the upper 90's and then there just is not enough blow to keep you comfortable.
this is the same problem with all older cars I.m afraid. Just how did they get that 4th speed in the new cars ?????
Allen & Lynette Lofland
Wichita Kansas
Back on Land with Our Fiat :)
allenlofland

Postby JimFierst » Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:32 pm

I just had an 150 mile run on I-40 with the A/C going all the way in 80 to 90 degree weather.. It was comfortable and at times I turned the A/C fan down a position. I found a larger set of turbine/squirrel cage wheels and installed then in the fan box but just can not bring my self to tear out the unit to install them. I think I would rather change 5 Fiat 124 starters than drop the heater box. The driving in the next few months will tell the tale.
The bigger 4 row radiator ,fans, lower fan temp switch & shrouding are all doing their thing and the engine is no longer 5 degrees from blowing a headgasket. It runs at 180 to 190 now.
1982 Fiat Spider; Turbo'd &WHOA Brakes Equip'd
1979 Lancia Beta Zagato, Performanced enhanced example of the breed
JimFierst

Return to Lancia Chat