Fiat Race weekend

Interesting articles, poems, stories, and more from around the Fiat/Lancia community.
ga.spyder

Fiat Race weekend

Post by ga.spyder » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:35 pm

Wow! First off, let me say that if you ever wanted to be in a race car in real competition you better put a Lemons race on your bucket list.It is for those of us that feel we have always had the desire and talent,but maybe not the funds.People bring some of the most obscure and derelict cars ever seen,and race them for 3 days!The organizers are absoluetly fantastic and hilarious,but safety is by far the main focus.Put 85 crap can on a track at one time,and let the games begin.The competition ends as soon as the checkers fly.I feel like I have 350 new friends.People couldnt be nicer,or more helpful.One of my co-drivers is a noted vintage racer,who has competed in sports cars world-wide for many years.He said it was the most fun he ever had at the track and was hugely impressed by how well driven and respectful the other drivers were.Definitely not a demo derby.
The teams are so varied I cant even begin to explain it.In our garage,the teams next to us were one group from Fl who spent the whole weekend in pink tu-tu's,and did a ballet routine at the b.s. inspection.One of the funniest things ever.Their Neon had a pink skirt all around it too!One the other side were some pig farmers from NC,who had their car painted pink,with ears on top and a coil spring for a tail.They used a BMW grille for a snout.The Pork Chop express!!!Across from us was a Firebird with some very impressive pit equipment and a driver lineup that included 2-time Trans Am champ Randy Pobst.A super nice guy who's first car was a..yep..Fiat! He still has a Yugo(he needs a fuel tank).
Our effort,in a first time racer,was freakin' awesome.The car was such a blast to drive.We were as good or better than any car on the track in the tight sections.Cars would fly by me on the straight going in to turn 1,but I could out brake them and fly under where they had no choice but to follow me for a couple turn or go way off line trying to pass.The first 2 days I let them by,but Sunday the track was dry and I fought for every inch.We had some issue,including a blown diff.But we had a spare and and stayed late into the night changing it.We were fueled by some of our competitors,who 'helped' by bringing us moonshine and fried chicken!! We finishe 4th in class after leading much of Sat before losing the diff.But it is all about the experience,and the result was secondary..and we finished!!!!!!!! Pics to follow
Craig Nelson
FLU Board of Directors
82 Spider 2000
81 Fiat X1/9(the wifes ride)
nuker598@yahoo.com

Chris Layton
Forum Admin

Re: Fiat Race weekend

Post by Chris Layton » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:47 pm

That looks awesome ! I hope to get a chance to do a Lemons sometime in my future!

Thanks for the writeup!
Chris Layton (Forum Admin)
2012 Subaru Imprezza (Kid Transporter)
2005 Toyota MR2
2007 Lotus Elise
1981 124 Spider
1972 124 Spider (In pieces all across TN)

ga.spyder

Re: Fiat Race weekend

Post by ga.spyder » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:52 pm

Chris,if you ever get a chance,you gotta' do it! :shift:
ps...I always liked the color of your Spider :wink:
Craig Nelson
FLU Board of Directors
82 Spider 2000
81 Fiat X1/9(the wifes ride)
nuker598@yahoo.com