"the right car at the right moment"

Interesting articles, poems, stories, and more from around the Fiat/Lancia community.
sjmst2

"the right car at the right moment"

Post by sjmst2 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:25 am

I remember it like it was yesterday. :cry:

Time Magazine
Fiat FinitoMonday, Jan. 31, 1983

Leaving the U.S. market
Regardless of undercoating or other protective measures taken by their owners, some Fiat cars rusted rapidly on U.S. roads in the 1970s. That problem and others led wags to proclaim Fiat an acronym for Fix It Again Tony. Partly as a result, sales dropped from a high of 100,511 cars in 1975 to last year's 14,113. Last week Fiat announced that it was pulling out of the American market.

Fiat had only two models in the U.S. anyway, the X1/9 and the flashy Spider 2000, assembled by Coachmakers Bertone and Pininfarina, respectively, but containing many Fiat parts, including the engine. Fiat will no longer sell those cars, although it will maintain its U.S. parts and service network for them as well as for the Strada, which it quietly stopped selling in the U.S. last year.

Fiat officials blamed competition from the Japanese for the demise. Indeed, almost as the company called it quits in the U.S., it was introducing, in Orlando, Fla., of all places, a new small car for the European market where competition from the Japanese is minuscule. Fiat might return to America at another time, says a company vice president, with "the right car at the right moment."

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/magazine/artic ... z13I3mfqLn
Sam G.
FLU Board Member
Long Island, NY
1981 Fiat Spider
2012 Fiat 500

Denise

Post by Denise » Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:31 pm

Yes, it must be the right car at the right moment....at least I hope so. I'm getting impatient waiting for a list of dealers. :(

Pope

Post by Pope » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:50 am

They released the list about a week ago, I have three Fiat dealerships opening around me in Detroit. Marketing blitz about the 500 will start in March when the plant ramps up production.
1980 FI Fiat Spider
Motown USA

sjmst2

Post by sjmst2 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:02 pm

Pope wrote:They released the list about a week ago, I have three Fiat dealerships opening around me in Detroit. Marketing blitz about the 500 will start in March when the plant ramps up production.
They are not announcing all the dealers at once. So fa only about a dozen have been named. Closest to me right now is in Philly. About 2 hrs away. I am sure there will some closer to NYC though.
Sam G.
FLU Board Member
Long Island, NY
1981 Fiat Spider
2012 Fiat 500

Pope

Post by Pope » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:13 pm

You only know of a dozen winning first round dealers?
Denise, now you'll have a Fiat Spider Sport and a Fiat 500 Sport.
1980 FI Fiat Spider
Motown USA

Denise

Post by Denise » Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:57 pm

Well, two Spider Sports, but who's counting? If patience is a virtue, I'm not very virtuous. The suspense is killing me!