Fiat 500 Article-Coming to America

Interesting articles, poems, stories, and more from around the Fiat/Lancia community.
Danno

Post by Danno » Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:00 am

I could live with the 160hp version. Now, does anyone know where there is a Ferrari Dealership in rural illinois/iowa area?

mbouse

Post by mbouse » Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:13 am

http://www.automotive.com/ferrari/18/dealers/index.html

I bet the use of the word rural virtually eliminates success in your quest.

Even though the Mini is successful here, Americans aren't ready for these small vehicles yet. As a group, we still grant luxury status to the SUV's and 4x4 behemoths. it is gonna take quite a lot to change the status of these vehicles from the worshiped and adored class to the pariah they really should be.

If Fiat enters this market before that change occurs in our collective mindset, Fiat and the 500 will fail. So, if you really want a 500 in your garage, pray for $5 per gallon gasoline.
Mike Bouse
WEST MICHIGAN FLU Treasurer
FLU Board of Directors
1978 Fiat Spider mostly stock
1980 Fiat Spider modified
mbouse2000@gmail.com
Home of the Michigan SHORTER SHIFTER

Danno

Post by Danno » Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:41 am

mbouse wrote:I bet the use of the word rural virtually eliminates success in your quest.

yeah, that was kinda my point.

jewemorris

Post by jewemorris » Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:19 am

. Last week's announcement from Green Car Journal that the Chevrolet Tahoe Hybrid has been selected as the "2008 Green Car of the Year" is making headlines and hitting broadcast TV and radio programs as well. SUV's aren't going anywhere!! They used to say that they would phase out when gas hit $3 a gallon so I don't think $5 is going to hurt them to much either. Only because just like everything else people just complain about high gas prices alot but they keep electing people that talk big but do nothing about gas prices. So would do we do adjust to the higher prices by getting more credit cards and taking second morgages on our homes and we can see where that is getting us..I guess all I'm saying is if the 500 is to come here to some how change the reputation it has here because if you ask anybody about Fiat outside of our clubs they just remeber the crappy little cars that where here in the 80's and perseption is the hardest thing to change. Just look at GM and Toyota. In 2006 Toyota recalled more cars then it built but everybody still thinks Toyota is the best out there with the best gas mileage and the fact is GM has more cars that get over 30mpg then any other car company.. The press just never talks about it..I mean heck Toyota just recalled another 264,000 of their top of the line cars.. So I think Fiat needs to name the 500 under the Abarth name and keep the Fiat name off of it and do the same as the Mini did.. Just my thought. Jerry
HI, I'm on my fourth Spider and loving every minute of it!
81 Fiat Spider
71 Chevy K-10
89 Dodge Dakota
85 Yamaha Maxim

mbouse

Post by mbouse » Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:06 pm

I may be off on the cost of gas/gallon that it will take to de-thrown the fuel guzzling fleet from their perch on the top of the vanity pile.

however, you are supporting my opinion in that Fiat will not be successful here if they are up against the HUGE car buying American. A Tahoe is the green car of the year? wonder what criteria were used to make that selection? prolly advertising dollars submitted just prior to the announcement.
Mike Bouse
FLU Board of Directors
mbouse2000@gmail.com

jewemorris

Post by jewemorris » Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:21 pm

It was selected because of the improvement % gain that is made. It gains 30% higher gas mileage then the old Tahoe. There is a big letter explaining it I will see if i can find the link and post it. And yes I do agree with you but at the same time we need those SUV's and mini vans get threw the snow with four kids and to pull our boats and toys. so i think GM and Ford are doing the right thing by making the old gas drinkers get as good MPG as a 80's or 90's car. I would love to buy a 500 so i hope Fiat can do something to get them here. Just a quick ? my can't somebody go over there and buy one and ship it back? There has to be away to get one!! Jerry
81 Fiat Spider
71 Chevy K-10
89 Dodge Dakota
85 Yamaha Maxim

Denise

Post by Denise » Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:45 pm

jewemorris wrote: Just a quick ? my can't somebody go over there and buy one and ship it back? There has to be away to get one!! Jerry

Just the question I'd like answered. The only thing I think may get in the way of that is the OBDII emission testing, but are they testing the new diesel engines for emissions yet? Ron has had the opportunity to travel to various countries and drive different vehicles. Last year in London, he had a "mini" van that was diesel. If there wasn't a sticker on the fuel cap declaring it as such he never would have guessed it. It was peppy, quiet and powerful. The fuel mileage he got was unrealistic to American standards. I'd like to know why American cars can't be as fuel efficient, and Mike, I'm not talking about the big 3. Even the Jap cars ain't getting it.
Heck, I'd be first in line to buy a new 500 and I NEVER buy new cars!

jewemorris

Post by jewemorris » Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:32 pm

I wonder if you bought one and shipped pieces by piece and then titled it as a hobbie car? would that work? I know it sounds silly!! but I'm just curious. I know in Wisconsin you can as a private resident you can build a car or trike or any thing and as long as it passes a basic DOT inspection you can register it and they will give you a title. And that leads me back to my original ? is if a private buyer not a manufactor can ship a full car here? Jerry
81 Fiat Spider
71 Chevy K-10
89 Dodge Dakota
85 Yamaha Maxim

77X19

Post by 77X19 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:13 pm

http://www.ferrarilife.com/dealer/list.php
Not sure when this site was last updated and by no means complete or comprehensive as I know of 2 more Ferrari/Maserati dealerships in the Toronto area.
"Now, does anyone know where there is a Ferrari Dealership in rural illinois/iowa area?"
Please forgive my ignorance on US cities and their locations within the State, but I did find 2 dealerships in Illinois listed in the site above, perhaps not rural but hopefully close to you Danno.

I'm with you Mike, It's a huge cultural change that has to happen-We're overdue for it I believe. Hope FIAT is not missing the opportunity by hesitating to bring their products here.

Have to do some research on that piece by piece car build, (I like that abstract thinking) but this is a relative Article from the "Registrar of Imported Vehicles"
(VEHICLES PURCHASED OUTSIDE CANADA AND THE UNITED STATES

The Motor Vehicle Safety Act and Regulations require that all vehicles imported into Canada comply, at the time of importation, with the Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Standards in effect on the date the vehicle was manufactured. Vehicles manufactured for sale in countries other than Canada and the United States do not comply with the requirements of the Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Act, CANNOT be altered to comply and CANNOT be imported into Canada. The only exceptions to this rule are vehicles fifteen (15) years old or older as determined by the month and year in which the vehicle was manufactured and buses manufactured before January 1, 1971.)blah blah blah..it carries on for a few more para's.

Another funny article talked about how to get an import registered in North America-First you'd have to subject the car to North American crash tests to see if they'd pass-then have the second one registered if it did. That's a little pricey though.
Gees a tahoe as green car of the year-who'd a thunk that!!
Walter Lima
Barrie, Ontario
"Spinner"
Then:74 X1/9, 82 Honda Prelude
Now :77 X1/9, 08 Mini
Uno Conversion in Progress:http://s232.photobucket.com/albums/ee28 ... onversion/

jewemorris

Post by jewemorris » Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:18 am

Chevrolet Tahoe Hybrid Named 2008 Green Car of the Year<sup>®</sup

I hope this link works!!! Jerry
81 Fiat Spider
71 Chevy K-10
89 Dodge Dakota
85 Yamaha Maxim

jewemorris

Post by jewemorris » Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:19 am

Ok lets try this one!!

www.greencar.com/features/2008greencar/

Jerry
81 Fiat Spider
71 Chevy K-10
89 Dodge Dakota
85 Yamaha Maxim

Denise

Post by Denise » Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:46 am

At least in the US you don't have to buy two and crash one:

http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/ ... chor-65288

mbouse

Post by mbouse » Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:03 am

Not gonna picka fight, but i think the word NEED and the word SUV in the same sentance smacks of extreme selfishness.

what the folks in this country NEED is some global awareness.
Mike Bouse
FLU Board of Directors
mbouse2000@gmail.com

ga.spyder

Post by ga.spyder » Sat Dec 01, 2007 4:35 pm

You are right on track ,Mike.Nobody else in the world drive the behemoths that we do! Any coincidence that the major oil companys are based in the USA? Also ,the diesel technology in the rest of the world are light years ahead of our Country.It would take a major change in attitude for us to join the rest of the world,I dont think gas prices alone would do it.Snow ,boats and toys exist in other places ,and they seem to manage with smaller ,fuel efficient support vehicles Craig

jewemorris

Post by jewemorris » Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:08 pm

Ok, First, I don't think we want to get into a debate about NEED on an exotic car forum. Because who NEEDS exotic cars anyways? expecially 3 of them! Almost everbody does somthing or has somthing they don't NEED that isn't enviromently freindly! From taking 2 showers day or washing their car to much or even leaving their computer on all the time!

Second: One of the top exports that GM has is SUV"s going over seas!! Have you seen those countries that don't have SUV's? They practicaly shut down when it snows and people die because there services cant get threw to help them. The countries that have enough money to buy them are buying them as fast as we can build them.

I do agree that people need to be more responsible with what they buy and how they drive.Like myself I only drive my big truck when we have snow or I have something to haul. There is no need to drive it as a daily driver. That wouldn't make sense to me. The people that need to change are the ones that drive their SUV"s to work or just to the store everyday.If fact that is one of the reasons that I bought a Spider was because of the MPG. There is a culture change happening here and that is why there is a Tahoe hybrid bieng made. I just saw a show where there is company here in the states that fits Escalads with a diesel engine that gets 50mpg and makes a 1000hp. It's pretty cool.. So I do agree that we need to look at all options we it come to the enviroment. But I'm a realist and I know you will never get rid of SUV's , we just need to make them get better MPG. So we can lead good fun happy lives and do the things we want to when we want to, no matter the season. Well gotta go Jerry...
81 Fiat Spider
71 Chevy K-10
89 Dodge Dakota
85 Yamaha Maxim